Smoked Burgers...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
... per jcam222 jcam222 's suggestion with a confirmation from chopsaw chopsaw on how good they are. First time doing them this way...

Hand pattied 6 7 oz. sirloin patties and 2 6 oz. patties for smashed burgers for the grands...
20220629_172059[1].jpg

On the kettle to smoke on the side with cherry just like Jeff. Extra sharp cheese on mine...
20220629_180855[1].jpg

Served with sauted Vidalia onions, bacon, and lettuce and tomato. Time to eat...
20220629_180912[1].jpg

Burgers were already on the menu and when Jeff posted about smoking them, well that was a must. Not any more pics, but this may be my new method for burgers. Really happy with the flavor and juiciness...

Yeah smoked steakburgers are my favorite method. I will be doing them at some point this weekend. Already have the ground chuck in the 'fridge. Thinking of trying them with bleu cheese.

Reactions: jcam222
I just tried this last week when my son was visiting for his birthday.

I smoked them for an hour over hickory, pulling them at 110, then seared them till done at 160. Topped with Tillamook sharp cheddar, maple bacon, and the usual fresh toppings. Fantastic!

They were evenly done throughout the full thickness of the patty (80/20%).

Looks great and I love the sharp cheddar. Usually when I pop the cheese on I’ll throw a split on to get some heavier smoker going. That cheese takes it on fast.
Thank you, Jeff and thanks for the idea. Definitely do that next time...

Reactions: jcam222
So, indirect 15 or 20 minutes before the first flip? Then however long it takes to come up to temp?
I really didn't keep up with the time, just color and IT. Once they got the color, I checked temp and they were around 130℉ and then put the cheese on. I never flipped them...

They sure do look good to me. I could devour one, two or maybe three in a heartbeat Charles.

Point for sure
Chris

I really didn't keep up with the time, just color and IT. Once they got the color, I checked temp and they were around 130℉ and then put the cheese on. I never flipped them...
YES - that's how I do them. Very gently formed patties. No flip. No sear. Except I prefer them around 145 F. Seasoned. Cheese. Toasted buns. The smoke and the heat over time will form a nice light delicate crust and beautiful color so there is no need to sear in my opinion.

Last edited:
Looks great, no flip no sear here, swiss cheese is really good also, cheddar on my grilled burgers, blue cheese sometimes for something different, amazing how much better a burger is with home grown ripe tomatoes

Well, not that I needed confirmation on anything Jeff posted, but this may be what sends me over the edge to give these a shot. Well done my friend!!

Robert

Reactions: Marknmd
Looks tasty!

I made smoked burgers one time last September and they ended up being my new favorite. Unfortunately, burgers tend to be a last minute thing in our house, so they end up hot and fast on the gasser.

I'm gonna have to plan ahead and try this again.

Yes, definitely going on the to do list for sure! Looks excellent!

Ryan

They sure do look good to me. I could devour one, two or maybe three in a heartbeat Charles.

Point for sure
Chris
Thank you, Chris. I be sure to cook extra next time and you can join us...
YES - that's how I do them. Very gently formed patties. No flip. No sear. Except I prefer them around 145 F. Seasoned. Cheese. Toasted buns. The smoke and the heat over time will form a nice light delicate crust and beautiful color so there is no need to sear in my opinion.
This may be my new method for burgers...
Looks great, no flip no sear here, swiss cheese is really good also, cheddar on my grilled burgers, blue cheese sometimes for something different, amazing how much better a burger is with home grown ripe tomatoes
Thank you, Mike. I actually prefer Swiss cheese, but didn't realize that we were out of it. And yes, you are right about the taste of a burger with home grown ripe tomatoes. There's nothing like them...
Well, not that I needed confirmation on anything Jeff posted, but this may be what sends me over the edge to give these a shot. Well done my friend!!

Robert
Give it a try Robert, I don't think you'll be disappointed...
Looks tasty!

I made smoked burgers one time last September and they ended up being my new favorite. Unfortunately, burgers tend to be a last minute thing in our house, so they end up hot and fast on the gasser.

I'm gonna have to plan ahead and try this again.
Probably going to be my preferred method now, Nate. We really liked them...
Yes, definitely going on the to do list for sure! Looks excellent!

Ryan
Thank you, Ryan. To me, they tasted better than they looked...

Reactions: Marknmd
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky