Smoked Brisket Chili!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

OldSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 5, 2020
Oregon
My wife is leaving me, and going to Mexico tomorrow.

Don’t worry, she will be with my daughter and will hopefully be coming back. I’m crossing my fingers for her return. So, in my lonesomeness, I decided to invite some friends over for a chili dinner.

I started out yesterday by smoking a brisket flat. This is only my second attempt with brisket. The last one was a bit dry. This one was so juicy and tender that I was certain none of it would make it into the chili. It was a little over three pounds and took about six hours over hickory at 235. I was surprised that it did not stall for very long. I let it go with no basting or wrapping. My little Frankenstein smoker worker great. It was almost a crime to cube it up.

73DB03A3-CA96-4C32-8517-8D980A344930.jpeg

Today I made the chili so it will have a couple of days for the flavors to meld before serving. Brisket, bacon, chilis, onions, garlic, all the good stuff.

6CE26A20-87BB-4BFB-A3F2-55159BBE77F3.jpeg

Everything is diced up and the spice mix is ready.

A176F628-88B5-4406-BA4C-31CF00CA82B3.jpeg

I love the aroma at this stage!

D9050BA5-9D19-4010-A68F-AAC8E9773700.jpeg

The onions and peppers were sautéed in a bit of the bacon fat. Then I added the spice mixture. Then the beef broth, some tomato, coffee, chocolate, and the meat. No beans this time.

5F748DC3-8770-43F2-AFBC-D67A2BFD6852.jpeg

So far, it tastes great. I’ll know the flavor better tomorrow after it sits over night. Then I can adjust the spices and whatever.

Tomorrow I will bake a cast iron skillet cornbread. Desert will be dark chocolate brownies.

When wife's away the men will cook!
It’s better than rattling around an empty house! I often leave to visit our sailboat to complete projects, but as best I can remember, this is only the second time in thirty years I have been in this house alone at night. Strange.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Oh man that looks amazing! It’s cold and rainy out and I want some of that bad! You inspired me!

The chili dinner was a great success! The chili flavors were very balanced and complex with just the right amount of heat. I let the flavors meld over two nights with great effect. The smoked brisket totally made it. There were lots of, “This is the best I’ve ever had”, and “Don’t change a thing.” The only problem is there are no leftovers!

6F8E8F56-E5B3-49B3-8B22-184A3FA72D29.jpeg

I had all of the usual fixens including, cheese, onions, and sour cream. I made a honey butter to go with the skillet cornbread. Brownies for desert. It is so much fun to smoke and cook when you can invite friends to share. I gave everyone smoked cheese to try out as they left.

The dishes are done, the kitchen is clean, and I saved the last brownie to have with a glass of excellent Syrah in front of the fireplace. I’m exhausted.

Thats a fine looking bowl of chili. Nice job

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: OldSmoke
It all looks exelent! Thank you for the reminder. Smoked brisket some 2 months ago and saved good size container of chopped up meat in the freezer just for chili.

Reactions: OldSmoke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky