Smoked Boudin-Stuffed Collard Rolls from the January Throwdown

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SunnyDC

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 15, 2019
Washington, DC
I finally had a minute to put this together, in case anyone's interested! It's more of a peek at my process than an actual recipe, though I'll try to quantify this at some point so I can reproduce it easily going forward.

I'd been wanting to make boudin for ages, but I don't have a device that will allow me to easily stuff casings yet. The January Throwdown gave me an idea, though... what if I made the boudin and just stuffed it inside something that would make it a finger food without the casings? So off I went.

boudin-01.jpg

That's just over 6 lbs. of pork, a mix of some fattier pieces I trimmed off a butt and a chunk of really thick pork belly I found at the Asian market. I brined this in a simple salt/sugar/water solution with a bunch of chiles (jalapenos & Thai red chiles since that's what I had around) for a bit more than 24 hours, because that's just how it worked out. Then I rinsed it all off and threw it into a stock pot with a pound of chicken livers (again, what I happened to have in the freezer) and enough water to cover it up. I simmered it for a long time... probably about an hour and a half. It was **ugggghhhly** so no pics of that!

boudin-02.jpg

It looked a little less hideous once I fished it out (with a good amount of the cooking liquid brought along to the party) and added a bunch of green onions and parsley and some more chilies. Also, seasoned with your basic Cajun type spices, including a healthy dose of file powder.

boudin-03.jpg

In the absence of an actual meat grinder, I opted for my trusty Cuisinart. Did it up in fairly small batches so I could get it thoroughly mixed without turning it to paste. Lots of little pulses. At this point I was brave enough to taste it and it was INSANE already. This stuff is hard to mess up, folks.

boudin-04.jpg

Once I had it all chopped, back into the pot with the liquid so I could make sure it was pretty wet before adding the rice.

boudin-10.jpg

Most of the recipes I read called for a LOT of rice... I was too afraid to put it all in at once, so this is how I started it out. Once I started trying to roll it up in the leaves, though, I realized I needed more (and then didn't take any other pictures because I was all excited!) I'd say I added about half again as much as you see here.

To make the collard rolls... I washed the leaves, trimmed the stems flush with their bottoms, then cut out the widest parts of the stems. The resulted in the leaves being split at the bottom, of course, but I would fix that later. First, dropped them into boiling salted water for all of about three minutes, then drained them off and plopped them in a bowl of cold water to cool and stop cooking. To roll them, I took a leaf, crossed the split end of the bottom so they overlapped and formed a solid base, then spooned in some of the boudin, rolled them up, and placed them seam-side down in a foil catering pan. I also stuffed a tiny foil loaf pan with the boudin so I could just eat it outright -- I'd never had it smoked before!

boudin-11.jpg

These didn't take terribly long... I pulled the rolls after about an hour and a half. The temperature stayed around 225° the whole time, thankfully. I left the little pan of boudin in for another half hour or so, as it was much more dense.

boudin-finale.jpg

Once done, I just mixed up some super simple Creole mustard remoulade (which we totally ignored after the first couple of bites). And that was that.

Thank you to everyone here who gave me confidence to give this a shot! And thanks for watching... hopefully I managed to format this well enough to be readable and didn't botch the photo uploads!!

Sunny
PS: I put this in "Sausage" because it's mostly about how I made the boudin; feel free to move it someplace else if it belongs in another spot on the forum.

These reminded me of stuffed cabbage. I wonder, how did the greens come out, since they didn't cook with any liquid? Were they tough? Also, how well did the smoke penetrate past the greens into the boudin mix?

Congrats again on your Throwdown win!

The greens were perfect. Since they were still, essentially, cooking -- it was hot enough to do that. There was a little 'pop' when you bit into them, so it was more like biting into a sausage than a cabbage roll. But you're right; this was definitely a cabbage roll-inspired creation.

The smoke flavor was perfect in the rolls -- dumb luck, as I had no master plan for how to accomplish this. I just waited until I thought the collards looked good, and hoped for the best. I don't think they really presented too much of a barrier for the smoke.

As for smoked boudin in general... after this I had to immediately call my friend from Lake Charles, LA, who originally introduced me to it, and ask if she ever had it smoked before -- because I hadn't, and now I don't want it any other way. She said that when her family members come to visit (she lives in St. Louis now), she only wants them to bring the smoked kind, even though growing up, she said they never really had it that way. That little pan you see in the background was flat out GONE by the next day. And the remaining poundages of boudin in my freezer now are destined eventually for the smoker, too!

Thank you! :)

I liked it Sunny..and you can get a small stuffer cheap off Amazon!

I run one of these my self. No reason for brand name in my mind, it's such a simple device :)

The greens were perfect. Since they were still, essentially, cooking -- it was hot enough to do that. There was a little 'pop' when you bit into them, so it was more like biting into a sausage than a cabbage roll. But you're right; this was definitely a cabbage roll-inspired creation.

The smoke flavor was perfect in the rolls -- dumb luck, as I had no master plan for how to accomplish this. I just waited until I thought the collards looked good, and hoped for the best. I don't think they really presented too much of a barrier for the smoke.

As for smoked boudin in general... after this I had to immediately call my friend from Lake Charles, LA, who originally introduced me to it, and ask if she ever had it smoked before -- because I hadn't, and now I don't want it any other way. She said that when her family members come to visit (she lives in St. Louis now), she only wants them to bring the smoked kind, even though growing up, she said they never really had it that way. That little pan you see in the background was flat out GONE by the next day. And the remaining poundages of boudin in my freezer now are destined eventually for the smoker, too!

Thank you! :)
Well, you've made it sound even better than I thought, if that's possible.

Sure looks good Sunny!
I'm not much for greens, but that looks like something I'd like!

I will say there is a bit of flavor from the collards that did come through... but it wasn't like eating a mess o' greens or anything. :) Thanks!

Wow, I think I might just get this.. thank you!

Yep, I got the like 2.5 pounder since I never do more then 10 pounds of sausage at once and it does me fine. :)

If you need a good grinder I just got one off Amazon and it's beefy! It's got a 1.2 horsepower motor and year warranty, and was under 60 bucks. Alot of the brand name stuff I've seen cost 3 times as much and don't have as much power! I've had no issues with it at all!

AWESOME. Thank you. Once we recover from a (possibly irresponsible) purchase of some concert tickets, I will revisit this!

Nice job Sunny on the write up, vittles and presentation. It looks amazing. Will definitely have to give this a go.

Point for sure.
Chris

Nice job Sunny on the write up, vittles and presentation. It looks amazing. Will definitely have to give this a go.

Point for sure.
Chris

Thanks... let me know if you have adaptation ideas, please! I have a LOT of boudin to play with right now and would love input!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky