Smoked Bellys and Collars

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cmayna

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 23, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
Just some more Salmon that we caught which needed to be cooked and given away.....

4 racks of Smoked Chinook Salmon collars, belly pieces (cut into chunks). Also the two bottom racks have some of our Albacore Tuna belly pieces on the right. Never done Albacore belly and heard it is very oily.
IMG_1033.JPG

IMG_1038.JPG

Salmon belly chunks
IMG_1039.JPG

Salmon collars
IMG_1040.JPG

Albacore tuna belly pieces. Fish we caught while fishing up in Eureka, CA. Heard the belly pieces are to kill for and all I can say is OMG!!
IMG_1041.JPG

Last edited:
I liked this,then unliked itjust so I could Like it again!
Delicious. I don't have the patience to smoke collars. I can barely grill them. I'm usually drooling and 1/2 planning to gnaw on them fresh off the fish.

Attachments

• 20190903_180212.jpg
    20190903_180212.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 17
Man that looks Good! I have cooked Salmon, Smoked it, Cured it into Lox and unsmoked Gravlax. My kids love it Raw, Cooked or Cured, but I just can't develop a Taste for it! One bite to check the Salmon is prepared properly and I'm done...JJ

Reactions: indaswamp
Craig they look great,I'm another that doesn't care for Salmon other then Lox. Points
Richie

Looks pretty amazing to me. Like!

I have to “fish” at Sam’s Club to catch anything like that in central Missouri haha

Thanks all for kind feedback. Jabiru, yes a very simple dry brine of 4/1 (brown sugar / non iodized salt). Brined for 7 hours.

Ritchie, hope you like Halibut -LOL.

Wife and I are going fishing tomorrow, so we'll bring a bunch of this stuff with us.

I am still floored as to how much oil came out of the Albacore belly pieces. I read a suggestion to put a foil pan under the pieces. Thankfully, I already have a couple pans.

Aha, here's a pic of da pan. Just 9 little chunks? Caused that?
IMG_1032.JPG

Last edited:
Most of the time I take the belly pieces on our fishing trips and feed everyone on the boat. Finger food for the hard core fishing guys and gals.

Typically for the collar, after smoking, I will scrape off/out the meat and make my infamous Salmon Log which has cream cheese, etc & crackers and again serve it on the next fishing trip. Or scrape the collars and freeze the meat into 1 cup patties for future requirements.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky