Smoked beef ribs - help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ziondavidov

Original poster
Oct 15, 2016
Hey Guys,
So glad i found this forum :)
I recently moved to a house from an apartment and started to experiment with grilling,
After eating smoked beef ribs that fall off the bone wife and I decided that this is iur first task when we move in.

I currently have a Weber genesis gas grill with a smokerbox and tried smoking on top of it

I lit only one burner and placed the ribs rack Indirect
Added a foil pan with water

Had it in for 4 hours and 0.5 hour in foil

I must admit that i opened it a few times (every hour or so)

Turned out nice but not as close as what we tasted

I want a fall of the bone result

So my questions are:
1. Can i even smoke on a gas grill? Or its only a smoker
2. If a smoker a carcoal or gas?

Added some pics
P.s sorry for the english, i'm Israeli

Thanks ! :)

GALLERY]

You didn't cook them long enough. Beef ribs take about 6 hours at that temp.

Use the search feature here and look into the 3-2-1 method. Beef ribs benefit from a braise, which is achieved during the "2" portion of the 3-2-1 method.

Beef ribs really need about 2 hours in foil with some liquid.

I do them like spares, 3-2-1.

They always come out tender.

Al

Thank you so much for the replay
Do you think it can be accomplished with current grill i have or a smoker is a must?

Thank you so much for the replay
Do you think it can be accomplished with current grill i have or a smoker is a must?

If you can maintain the 250 for 6 hours your grill will be fine. If you want smoke that too can be accomplished with your grill. There are several ways to do it.

I've smoked on the Weber Genesis many times and it works great. I use the A-Maze-N Tube Smoker and cook indirect like you described. We've done poor mans burnt ends, pork butt, and it also works great for chicken. The beauty of using the Genesis is once you figure out where to set the dial it'll hold all day (or night if you do an overnight smoke).

Your beef short ribs are undercooked, and yes you can smoke on a gas grill. Short ribs are pretty fatty and has a lot of connective tissues, this will keep the ribs moist as they cook. Short ribs can a take higher heat, try bumping the heat up to 275-300 even 325. I treat my short ribs like a brisket. Cook till you get the bark you like then wrap, then continue cooking till it's probe tender between the bones.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky