Smoked and cured brats??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ptaylortx

Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
All recipes I've found for bratwurst are for raw uncured sausage. Does anyone have any experience with adding cure #1 and smoking them? I've got some seasoning blend from Sausagemaker I'm wanting to try, but prefer a smoked and cured product. Does the smoke take away from the traditional brat flavor?

Thanks

It will take away from the traditional brat flavour. <I'm from Wisconsin, supposedly we're born with the knowledge of the Brat...>

But I'd say go for it. It might actually be more to your liking. I've had plenty of weird brat flavours and preferred some of them to the 'normal' brat.

I plan on making a 5lb test batch Wednesday when I make my Andouille. I'd hate to make a large batch and it turn out terrible.

I don't think it will turn out terrible!
It will give the brats a bit of a hammy flavor that you might like better than the fresh brats!
Al

All recipes I've found for bratwurst are for raw uncured sausage. Does anyone have any experience with adding cure #1 and smoking them? I've got some seasoning blend from Sausagemaker I'm wanting to try, but prefer a smoked and cured product. Does the smoke take away from the traditional brat flavor?

Thanks
I use the mixes from Sausage maker . I have Mid-west Bratwurst ( my favorite ) and German sausage . The German sausage blend has instruction for cured or un-cured .

I mix cure 1 at the correct amounts in my Brats , even for grilling . Makes a great grilled sausage .

The ones that are smoked do come out a bit " different " but very good as well . I have smoked them , then finished on the grill , or you can freeze and grill later .

I think it adds to the flavor , just watch that the casings don't get tough . I like to dry the casings at 120 for an hour then bump temps 10 degrees an hour until I get to 160 . I finish mine at 152 internal temp . Sometimes I push the temp to 170 ( no more ) to get them finished if they are close . I think to much time in the smoker makes tough casings .

uncured brats cooked indirect on high heat with smoke will cook plenty fast to stay out of the danger zone and still take on plenty of smoke flavor. I do a lot of uncured brats with cherry wood and charcoal. in the heat for about 1/2 hour or so with smoke flip and go another 15 minutes, and then take the lid off to get the coals going a bit and put them over the direct heat to crisp the casing a bit and into a beer butter and onion bath waiting to meet the bun. mustard and kraut to finish... breaks my heart to see people putting ketchup on a good brat.

I think they turned out great. The smoke was the first thing I tasted, but the bratwurst flavor came through well at the end. The wide was pleased with them as well. The texture was very good too. I'll have to make a larger batch next time. My andouille was on point too. Thanks for the input

Attachments

• 20190123_185137.jpg
    20190123_185137.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 20190123_184727.jpg
    20190123_184727.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 20190123_164537.jpg
    20190123_164537.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: chopsaw
We won't tell her...

Now I'm curious..what if you cured and smoked and did a traditional WI beer both from the brats? <Beer..butter..tons of onions..poach the bats in it, then a quick grill..load that lovely onion from the bath back in...alot of people keep the stock around too for gravy etc>

Reactions: ptaylortx
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky