Smoked 7-Up Stew

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeguy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 23, 2008
The Pineywoods of East Texas
This is one of our all-time favorites from the oven and/or crock pot, and so this time I wanted to try it smoked. Not just the meat, but the whole dish.

As the MES is preheating to 275 degrees it's time to get the stew started.
First in goes the package of pre-cut stew meat into a disposable aluminum pan. This is good with venison too.

Next is 1 can of Cream of Mushroom soup just sort of spread over the top.

Next is a pack of dry Lipton Onion Soup mix. We've tried it with a different brand but like the Lipton much better.

Now pour in one 20 oz bottle of 7-Up (if you don't smoke it, then you just add one cup and cover it). You don't have to stir it up so just put it into the smoker now for 4 hours. I used hickory this time the whole 4 hours stirring it at about the 3 hour mark. It ended up pretty smoky, so you could cut back adding wood some if you wanted. I'll probably stop at the 2.5 hour mark next time.
You still need to have it in there for about 4 hours cooking time so that the meat will be tender.

Here's what it looked like coming straight out. Smelling good!

Stirred it up some before serving.

Ready to eat over some mashed potatoes along with a side of broccoli salad and some orange slices.

Looks pretty good to me! Clever idea.

What about cutting up the potatoes and having them smoke with the stew?

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Now thats something that I never in my life would have ever thought of for sure. But I have to say it will be on our table pretty soon thou.
points.gif
For sure on the new smoked stew.

Thanks all!

I'm wondering now what it would taste like if I added a bit of red wine and served it over noodles....just put that on my list of things to try.

I bet if you cut back on the meat some so the seasonings don't get diluted too much, you could add the potatoes, carrots, etc and make a regular stew out of it too.

Interesting for sure and looks great!! I just seen for the first time today 7-Up and Dr. Pepper bottled marinades.
icon_surprised.gif
Never knew such a thing existed. A&W BBQ sauce too. Our new Menards (like Home Depot or Lowes) has a small grocery section and thats where it was.
Also found a bag of hickory chunks for $4.69 compared to $8.00 at Gander

Looks like a pretty plate of grub ya cooked up! Thanks for sharing that unique twist of adding 7-up as a liquid. Will have to try that.

What's the abbreviated teen phrase for "jumping around from leg to leg so excited that the dogs are looking at me like I'm possessed"?
I guess it would be jafltlsettdalamlip!

I'll have to keep my eyes open for that one.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky