smoke tube

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

albino

Original poster
Dec 5, 2014
Any one have any thoughts on using a smoke tube for low heat smoking

Welcome to SMF!

Pellet tubes are perfect for cold smoking!

When you light the tube us a propane torch or similar and let the pellets burn for around 10 min then snuff out the flame and they will smolder, producing smoke, for a few hours depending on if you have the 6 or 12 inch model.

Pretty much anything can be cold smoked. Most popular is cheese, but also butter, water for smoked ice cubes, vodkas, spices and seasonings, flour, salt, peppercorns.. heck the list goes on and on!

I use a tube with my pellet smoker, I use the tray with mailbox mod with my mes 30, I find the tube gives off to much smoke for the mes 30.

Reactions: 912smoker
I use a tube with my pellet smoker, I use the tray with mailbox mod with my mes 30, I find the tube gives off to much smoke for the mes 30.

Agreed. For cold smoking, the tube produces a heck of a lot of smoke. I use my tube only when I am smoking with the gasser smoker.

Agreed. For cold smoking, the tube produces a heck of a lot of smoke. I use my tube only when I am smoking with the gasser smoker.
Yes that’s what I use a propane smoker. Looking to upgrade to a pit boss

If you have a Masterbuilt gasser, do you have a lower door for burner access? I have my tube attached to the water pan support rack, which is above the flame (very important). I will try to remember and take a pic, soon.

I have a couple of tubes. I cut one in half to get me about 2 hours or so of smoking. Works great then I'm cooking at high heat, like a spatchcock chicken, to give me some good smoke flavor. Will also use in my gasser too.

I use a smoke tube for smoking cheese. Keeps the temps around 60-70 degrees when ambient temperature is around 40-45.
I also have a pellet tray too.

Something else to think about is pellets vs dust. I use both. (Not at the same time)

Pellets burn hotter. Dust is not as hot and the smoke is lighter.

I've got one, but we don't get along. I use it in my "egg" (not big green) I can't seem to keep it lit. since I am perpetually lazy 've been using my kamado alot more but wasn't happy with the smoke I get. Living in S Florida good wood is hard to find for my OK Joe stick burner, and "feeding it for 10 hour smoke is tedious at best. might be thinning the herd.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky