Smoke Tube

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thegrubzone

Original poster
Jan 3, 2021
Im thinking about buying a "smoke tube" for my gas grill. I've never used one before but I'm curious. I own an old school traeger lil tex elite but sometimes when I'm cooking for just me and my lady (usually 2 steaks or pork chops, not much food) I don't want to fire up the traeger because it's a little more time consuming than the gas grill. I love the smokey flavor though and the gas grill just doesn't do it for me. Does anyone have any experience with smoke tubes or recommendations?

No experience with using the tube in gas grills but works great in my pellet grill/smoker, you could also put chips in a tinfoil pouch poke some holes and put in by the burner, that might work also

Reactions: TNJAKE
No experience with using the tube in gas grills but works great in my pellet grill/smoker, you could also put chips in a tinfoil pouch poke some holes and put in by the burner, that might work also
For some reason I thought they were used mostly in gas grills, to get some smoke flavor when cooking on the gas grill.

Yes you can lay a tube on the grill opposite the food. The problem I have doing this is assuming you are grilling your steaks, they are not on the grill very long, so the smoke doesn't have much time to do its thing. Now one could give it a few minutes of smoke before you turn on the grill or extra smoke after the steaks have been cooked are just sitting there resting.

A little more work and time than a gas grill, but a charcoal fired kettle gives a nice flavor to food.
I use a smoke tube in my kettle for low and slow smoking, too.

Try using the burners on one side of your gas grill and doing a reverse sear on you steaks. Put the smoke tube on the hot side and let it smoke while your are warming up your meat on the cold side. Then, move the meat to the hot side for the sear.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky