Smoke times

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

caboboy3

Original poster
Aug 23, 2014
I just bought an 11 lb. boneless pork shoulder at Costco thinking it was one piece, and I've come to discover its cut in half. Do I smoke it for 1.5 hours x 11 lbs. or 1.5 hours for 5-6 lbs. since I have two pieces that size?

Dumb question, but this is my first time! Thanks!

It's figured on the largest cut so 5 or 6 lbs times 1.5 hours but many people figure closer to 2 hours to be on the safe side. Good luck with the smoke and don't forget to take some Qview

Last edited:
I just bought an 11 lb. boneless pork shoulder at Costco thinking it was one piece, and I've come to discover its cut in half. Do I smoke it for 1.5 hours x 11 lbs. or 1.5 hours for 5-6 lbs. since I have two pieces that size?

Dumb question, but this is my first time! Thanks!

There are no dumb questions. The dumb thing for someone to do is not ask when you have all these resources (members) around you. Good Luck!!!

It's figured on the largest cut so 5 or 6 lbs times 1.5 hours but many people figure closer to 2 hours to be on the safe side. Good luck with the smoke and don't forget to take some Qview
Hi, I’m as new as the get here, but I did the search for smoke times. Are you saying to smoke 5 or 6 lbs cut for 10 hours?

Hi, I’m as new as the get here, but I did the search for smoke times. Are you saying to smoke 5 or 6 lbs cut for 10 hours?

What are you smoking? With most things we smoke to an internal temperature not a time as no two pieces of meat are the same. Even lets say 2 pork butts that both weigh 8 lbs they will not finish at the same time even when prepped the exact same way and put in the smoker at the exact same time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky