Smoke the Turkey a day gefore

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JustMax87

Original poster
Sep 15, 2017
I have a crazy idea that i'm hoping someone else has either had/done or can convince me out of.

I have found that the leftover meat from turkey/chicken always tastes better after being in the fridge for a night or so as the cold brings out the smoke and the flavor. The idea that I had is this. Would I be able to cold smoke the poultry for a few hours (at as low a temp as my Bradley Digital Smoker will go), then put the poultry in the fridge overnight, and then cook it for a few hours before I want to serve it.

Would this work to add more of a smokey flavor? Or is this just craziness talking?

Thanks in advance!

I have a crazy idea that i'm hoping someone else has either had/done or can convince me out of.

I have found that the leftover meat from turkey/chicken always tastes better after being in the fridge for a night or so as the cold brings out the smoke and the flavor. The idea that I had is this. Would I be able to cold smoke the poultry for a few hours (at as low a temp as my Bradley Digital Smoker will go), then put the poultry in the fridge overnight, and then cook it for a few hours before I want to serve it.

Would this work to add more of a smokey flavor? Or is this just craziness talking?

Thanks in advance!
I wouldn’t do this at all but especially with poultry. You could brine it with salt and cure #1 and then you could smoke it as low as you like, otherwise I would pass and not.

That's a recipe for disaster unless you cure the turkey first. Too much time letting the turkey hang out in the danger zone 40°-140° then putting back in the fridge will almost definitely make you sick. Turkey has more bacteria than just about any other meat. Why not just smoke it to done then slice, fridge and reheat the next day?

Poultry is definetly a protein where playing fast and loose with the 40°-140° in 4 hours rule could kill you or make you sick enough were you wished you were dead.

I vote cook day before and then reheat day of. Food poisoning is nothing to play with....If it doesnt kill ya, it will may you pray for death.
Jim

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky