• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoke sausage wood

beggar

Joined Mar 15, 2019
we always have used oak to smoke, but this year (cousin Tom) who owns the smokehouse recently had several cherry trees cut down and wants to use the cherry. It hasn't had time to dry all the way. We'll probably wind up using both. How you'll think that will work, all cherry or mixed with oak?
P.S. We do all our sausage at one time, if that clears up the same thing I would have been wondering. Thanks fellas

smokerjim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 14, 2014
although i'm a hickory fan I think either way would work just fine for you

fivetricks

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 7, 2017
Cherry is awesome to smoke. Not sure what format of smoker you have, but I cut the wood that I'm rushing to use into smaller "biscuit" style cuts (think coaster looking) and this are ready to go in a few weeks! Toss them on hot coals and they work just dandy

kmmamm

Smoke Blower
Joined Apr 30, 2016
Will work, recommend the cherry is fully cured. I tried some once that wasn’t fully cured and it imparted a bitter flavor. Used the same wood after it was cured and no issues.

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
I love cherry for the color it imparts too. I mix it often with all the other woods I use. Not sure about using it if its not seasoned yet. I rushed some apple wood and it was not working out well / was too smokey and seemed acrid. I actually opened up my smoker and pulled it with tongs and threw in some other wood chunks.

fivetricks

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 7, 2017
Wet wood = bitter flavor. Almost like using mesquite where it doesn't belong imho.

foamheart

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 4, 2013
You can use nearly any wood (Except conifers) to smoke with, when applied properly. Its just takes some time and experience. Most all fruits are considered "light" smoke, and you can use them anywhere. Cherry wood surprisingly enough, adds a really pretty red color. Below is a picture of some andouille I did with I believe corn cob and cherry. Note that red color.

029.JPG

The red color is very predominate on foul.

Fueling Around

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 10, 2018
Yep fully seasoned is the only route.
I don't use straight cherry either. When I wood only, my preference is a neutral ash with a cherry chunk for the first hours.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.