smoke roast question - what should I buy?

Discussion in 'Beef' started by scottv, Aug 23, 2014.

1. scottv

scottv Newbie

I have smoked plenty of pork, ribs, chicken, etc.

I had some smoked prime rib at Hill Country in NY yesterday for lunch and would like to smoke a roast this weekend.  However, after pricing out a standing rib roast - I decided to try something a little cheaper.  I know there are top round, bottom round, etc etc.  What could you recommend to me - I want to be able to slice the roast not pull it..

Thanks!

2. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Save your money until they have a sale----Then Try This:

Link:
    Meanwhile I would make some Burgers, because any reasonably priced Beef is a little tough for slicing, unless you slice it paper thin.

You could do a Chucky, and only take it to 190* IT for slicing, instead of taking it to 205* IT for pulling. That would be tender & tasty.

Bear

3. How about a brisket? They are always good and tender.

Happy smoken.

David

4. Many folks like to smoke chuck roasts or a"chuckie"

5. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Hello , Scottv .  Glad you joined us .

As for Roast , whatever you get will cook . Watch the temp. you want to cook at and track your IMT/IT (internal meat temp. )  . Cook to the doneness you want ,165*F is Med.

Have fun and send Q-view of your cook , we like to drool [​IMG].

6. demosthenes9

demosthenes9 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Scott,

If you are wanting thicker slices like 1inch or more, PR really is the best way to go.   If you don't mind thinner slices, say about 1/8th to 1/4 inch, get a top round roast, smoke at 225 or less and take it to 130 - 135.   You'll end up with a nice roast beef like ones you see at carving stations on buffets.      You can actually use any cut of beef round, but they vary in tenderness to a small degree.

To assist in making it more tender, be absolutely sure that you slice the meat across the grain.

7. scottv

scottv Newbie

I ended up get a 4.5 sirloin steak from the butcher - only about 3/4 LB left for tomorrow.  Was pretty good but still pricey!

pulled at 130F.. I would use less smoke next time - 2 chunks of hickory is too much

finished product

sliced

8. good lord man that is gorgeous!!! gotta get me a smoker built soon.