Smoke ring

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I may be off thread here, but when adding more coals to a smoker do most of you add lit charcoal or unlit charcoal?

I alway go with the lit coals because I don't want all the smoke that the briquettes give off when they are lighting up on my meat. However, I start out with a "Minion Method" coal pan sooo, maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture here. (that's not too unusual
rolleyes.gif
)

Actually Rodger your very clever and a bit uncanny, I just walked through the door and Guess what I bought today.......a chimney, I'm not sure whether you are referring to just adding a briquet or two to the smoke box, but thought maybe that could have been part of my problem last weekend, so I bought a chimney and am going to put about two briquet's in it along with a couple chunks of wood and get it going before I dump it into the smoke box next time.....I'll see what happpens.

i am not an expert on the technical parts of smoking by any means - i just go by what i have watched and experimented with over the years...

anyways... wouldnt alot of the smoke ring be dependant on the wood that you are using? hickory,mesquite give a denser smoke - more oily wood... fruit woods more of a light wood etc etc

Something along that line of thought worked out real nice for me last week. All that remains is to see if I can duplicate the same results. Let us know how it turns out.

When I use my horizontal offset ECB, yes always.

However this is a propane one. JMinion was talking about only throwing in a chunk or two to help enhance the smoke ring. Being a new thing to me I wanted to clarify as I normally would never throw a lump in with the wood on a propane smoker.

Teacup, yes you are sort of right. It turns out that the charcoal adds to the NO2 which creates the smoke ring or at least enhances it. As I stated in the opening post with my offset ECB I always got a nice/phat smoke ring. With the propane smoker I am just not getting the same results. I do get a nice smokey flavor in the meat, just a REALLY weak looking smoke ring. On another board someone offered this link, which is/was a good read...

http://www.geocities.com/senortoad/S...bequeMeats.htm

So the more NO2 introduced the more pronounced the smoke ring will be (to an extent of course). Since charcoal produces this at a higher rate it seems to make sense. That and Jim Minoion seems to be very knowledgeable. I have not tried this yet but plan on doing so on my next smoke.

I am FAR from being an expert myself, just learning as I go, it's fun.

Take care,

Brian

Whoops, sorry. I have the same thread running on "another board" for more thoughts. Got the two confused. I thought it was a great link, hence why I dropped it. It really explains a lot of the "technical" stuff IMHO.

Take care,

Brian

Actually I was was correct, too confusing, thought I was going insane :). Someone dropped it on the "other board" here...

http://thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7278

Sorry to drop a link to another board, hope it is OK. If not I will happily edit this out of my post.

Take care,

Brian

Well, there really wasn't a clear answer as to the charcoal being lite or not lite when added to the wood chips. This morning, I fired up the fridge smoker, added my wood chips with 2 briquets of Kingsford " unlite". After an hour, I checked to see if the briquets were burning. The wood chips were smokin' but the briquetes were doing nothing. So, I would say that the briquetes need to be lite when adding to the wood chips.
Just my 2 cents.

I need to revise my last post: After an hour and ahalf, I found the briquet was actually starting to burn. That being said, I feel that amount of time would not help in any way. So will try with lit briquets on my next smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky