smoke powder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cal1956

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
Colorado
i have talked about this once before but i think it bears repeating , i ran across powdered smoke a couple of years ago ,
its good stuff but its VERY STRONG so experiment before using it in large batches , one of the best uses i have found for it is in breakfast sausage , some call them "tube " sausage others call them "patty sausage" but anyways there is no good way to smoke them , but adding " powdered smoke " works great and adds a nice smoky flavor to them . there are lots of ways to use this stuff as long as you don't over use it , when i first came across powdered smoke i bought some and had it when i made another batch of " smoked sausage " and decided to experamint with it , so i made about 5 lbs using it along with my usual smoked sausage and then took a sample to some people that had been eating my sausage for years , i gave them a peice of the ones made with the "powdered smoke " along side of a peice smoked on my smoker the only thing i told them was that there WAS a difference in one of the sausage , asked them to taste both and tell me which was better , not one of them could tell any difference in the sausage , even though one of them had been smoked and one had not

Reactions: DailyLunatic
i wish i had written down exackly how much i added to the 5 lbs that day but i didn't , now i wouldn't mind putting it in a large batch but if i do i'll have to start tinkering with the amount in a small batch again before i am brave enough to scale it up haha

i have been thinking about this today and am considering skipping the smoking for the sausage we will soon be doing for freinds this year , the only real concern i have is the apperence of the finished sausage , when i did the side by side taste comparison, the sausage i presented to them were both fully cooked sausages,
before cooking them there is clearly a difference in that it looks like what it is ,meaning completly raw , and that might throw them a curve as they aren't used to seeing the unsmoked sausage

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky