smoke powder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cal1956

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
Colorado
i have talked about this once before but i think it bears repeating , i ran across powdered smoke a couple of years ago ,
its good stuff but its VERY STRONG so experiment before using it in large batches , one of the best uses i have found for it is in breakfast sausage , some call them "tube " sausage others call them "patty sausage" but anyways there is no good way to smoke them , but adding " powdered smoke " works great and adds a nice smoky flavor to them . there are lots of ways to use this stuff as long as you don't over use it , when i first came across powdered smoke i bought some and had it when i made another batch of " smoked sausage " and decided to experamint with it , so i made about 5 lbs using it along with my usual smoked sausage and then took a sample to some people that had been eating my sausage for years , i gave them a peice of the ones made with the "powdered smoke " along side of a peice smoked on my smoker the only thing i told them was that there WAS a difference in one of the sausage , asked them to taste both and tell me which was better , not one of them could tell any difference in the sausage , even though one of them had been smoked and one had not

Reactions: DailyLunatic
i wish i had written down exackly how much i added to the 5 lbs that day but i didn't , now i wouldn't mind putting it in a large batch but if i do i'll have to start tinkering with the amount in a small batch again before i am brave enough to scale it up haha

i have been thinking about this today and am considering skipping the smoking for the sausage we will soon be doing for freinds this year , the only real concern i have is the apperence of the finished sausage , when i did the side by side taste comparison, the sausage i presented to them were both fully cooked sausages,
before cooking them there is clearly a difference in that it looks like what it is ,meaning completly raw , and that might throw them a curve as they aren't used to seeing the unsmoked sausage

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky