Smoke hollow smoke tronix users

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That's Great, Babcock!!---Like.
Glad you like that Ham!! Just can't beat a Cheap Double Smoked Ham!!:)

And Bet your Pulled Pork will be Awesome too!!

Bear

I just added some more chips to the smoker. The first tray lasted almost 3hrs, not to bad. While I had the tray out I grabbed my AMNPS to see if it will fit. It will slide right in the existing opening for the chip tray and sit on top of the middle element, and should get decent airflow. I will try it out sometime and report back.

I just added some more chips to the smoker. The first tray lasted almost 3hrs, not to bad. While I had the tray out I grabbed my AMNPS to see if it will fit. It will slide right in the existing opening for the chip tray and sit on top of the middle element, and should get decent airflow. I will try it out sometime and report back.

That's good for Cold Smokes, but can you get it far enough from the heating element to be able to use it with warm & Hot Smokes without causing row jumping and complete burn-outs?

Bear

I will have to watch the center element. I think it only comes on for 20min when I hit the fast smoke button, to get the chip tray burning. The rest of the time the larger element is doing heating and that would be far enough away. I will jeep an eye on it.

As far as center element it does cycle on maybe 1 or 2x an hour to keep chips smoldering. So most likely would cause complete burn out of amnps. Good thing tho is smoke hollow has a cold smoke feature already built in. Allows you to smoke at a beleive 70degrees to 120

Btw bab your ham looks great

Tbrtt1 thanks for the input. Yes you are right there is a learning curve. And I am finally getting things worked out thanks to all of you guys input . As far as your post 1 yes that's what I have been doing using Webber probe next to meat and setting smoke hollow to whatever I need to to get my set temp right. 2 my next smoke I will try with no water in pan maybe just throw some onion garlic and half an orange or something in there for some aroma. As far as wood chunks I'm not really having a problem with smoke production I like how easy it is to refill and get usually 3-5 hours out a full tray. But maybe I will mess with it and or an amnps. 3 I do know where the black liquid is coming from the back panel comes off and that happens to be where the smoke vent is on the back of the unit not on the top so there is no seal between the box in the back panel and as the smoke and condensation runs out the back it goes in between the panel and the box runs down the back inside panel out the bottom.I can seal all this with our Rtv except for as many times as I have had to take that panel off already if I rtv it in the future will be a problem. Maybe just not using water in pan will fix this issue. Seems others who don't use water not having this problem so I will post back next time I try with results.

Looks good there..
Sounds like you know your smoker.
That moisture runs down in places to cause the drips in a couple places.. I think you will be able to find those cracks where you can seal with RTV high temp.. Yep. That's why I don't use a water pan in mine .. steam is running all down the lid of my smoker when I do.. plus I don't need moisture usually.

So everything went great yesterday on my first long smoke with the Smoke Tronix. The butts took about 13.5hrs and the smoker never missed a beat. The finished product is really good! Only problem no Q-vue. It was getting late and I totally forgot to take some pics. I only had to fill the chip tray twice and that lasted about 8hrs until I wrapped.

After using the Smoke Tronix a few times now I really like it and would recommend it to anyone. It is very easy to use and so far seems pretty reliable. I will be trying a few things out over the next few weeks and I will be sure to keep everyone posted.

Merry Christmas!
babcockwi

Reactions: Rings Я Us
Hey folks. Really pleased to find this thread on the Smoke Tronix. Mine just arrived a few days ago. Made my first go of it yesterday: 6 racks of back ribs. Here's a few observations:

1. Love the design. It's a great looker and does what is says it will do. Materials are very robust. Nothing flimsy about it. Not sure about the actual workmanship in assembly though (see leaking issue below).
2. When full, wood chips lasted me 2 1/2 hours. I was using very fine chips, so larger more standard sized chips should last longer. Significantly more smoke than my old MES. I could taste the difference! It was amazing to be able to control the smoke with the fast smoke feature. I've learned the wood chip concept is totally different than the MES, though. This one is designed so you fill the wood chip box, the burner comes on for 20 min. and lights them, then the chips burn on their own till done. Works great, but this is why soaking the chips doesn't work.
3. Compared the meat thermometer to a digital one I've used for years. Within 2 degrees.
4. Compared the smoker temp, and temp displayed by Smoke tronix was about 10 degrees higher than my probe. Held steady within 5 degrees the entire smoke.
5. Cooking time seemed right for ribs. Used my standard timing (3 hours, wrap for 1:45, unwrap add sauce, then 20 minutes). I raised the set temp to 240 instead of my standard 235 to adjust for the temp difference. 5 of the 6 ribs were perfect. One rib was a bit overdone, with the meat falling off the bone more than I like. Seems to indicate a hot spot. Not sure where yet.
6. I had some leaking near the front rt. corner. Tightened the door latch and it seemed to fix it. I had a small bit of smoke leaking through the viewing window. I'm going to tighten the screws around the window today, and seal if I have to .
7. Didn't use the water pan. Seemed like plenty of moisture and condensation in the box and on the window.
8. Bluetooth was surprisingly good for me. Expected it to not work. A little trouble connecting at first, but I could go all over my house with my ipad and never lose the connection. LOVE the app itself.

At this point I'd say I'm overall pretty darn pleased. The Smoke Tronix isn't perfect, and I've got some bugs to work through. For me, the positives far outweigh the negatives.
IMG_0332.jpg

Great to hear you like your new smoker. The ribs look great! I've had mine for a little while now and am still loving it. I have noticed if you use a mix of fine and regular chips it does seem to work better. Last smoke I almost got 4hrs out of a tray of chips.

Great to hear you like your new smoker. The ribs look great! I've had mine for a little while now and am still loving it. I have noticed if you use a mix of fine and regular chips it does seem to work better. Last smoke I almost got 4hrs out of a tray of chips.

Thanks for the input. Love the idea of a mixture of chips! I think I'll give that a try the next go around. I'm thinking about doing a brisket on Sunday, but I kinda hoped to locate the hotspot first if there really is one. Have you noticed any hot or cold areas on yours?

After my first run of the Smoke Tronix, I am pretty pleased. It held the temp pretty good, and heated up fairly quickly, considering It was 20 degrees here today. The unsoaked chips worked better than wet ones. The wet chips would go out after the element under the chip tray went off, and also took longer to get going. It averaged about 1.5hrs of smoke on a pan of chips. Personally thought that was pretty good. In the future I will try the AMNPS it might just fit in the slot for the chip tray and would get good airflow to keep it going. Will also use my smoke pistol should be able to mount it on the side by the trap door. I really liked the Bluetooth feature even though it has its limitations, maybe WiFi would be better for this but probably more expensive. The app works well and logged the cook even when it would be disconnected. If anybody has found a cover for the Smoke Tronix please let me know. I emailed the company about a cover and extra racks, when I hear from them I will post back.
I’m glad to see someone saying good things about the smoke tronix. I joined this forum hoping for some info on the Smoke Tronix. I am sick of the masterbuilts I’ve owned they last about a year and something always goes wrong with them.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Sometimes you just have to take a chance and go with what few reviews there are.

I’m glad to see someone saying good things about the smoke tronix. I joined this forum hoping for some info on the Smoke Tronix. I am sick of the masterbuilts I’ve owned they last about a year and something always goes wrong with them.
I have had my Smoke Tronix for a couple of months now. Have used it once a week since then with no problems with the smoker or bt connection/app. For the price point, the Smoke Tronix is a pretty solid smoker. I have no complaints.

LOL---Tell that to my 5 year old & my 8 year old MES 40s.

Bear

LOL---Tell that to my 5 year old & my 8 year old MES 40s.

Bear
I have had the 30in Mes burners went out controllers went out. The last one I had somehow grease got down on the wiring underneath the unit we’re the heating element is wired in and it caught fire. And I clean it regularly. I use mine all the time. I would love to have one that would last. Are the 40s built any better? I’m sure they are you can pull up YouTube videos of a Mes 40 catching fire no thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky