Smoke Hollow 44 Too hot

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HokieMets07

Original poster
Nov 6, 2018
I am using the Smoke Hollow 44 inch (not the one with the window).

This is my first smoke on it after seasoning it. It’s running way too hot. I am trying to smoke a turkey at 225. I am using igrill2 for my temperature.

Currently, I only have one burner going on just above low and it quickly gets to 240 and above. On low it goes too far below 225.

After researching, I found to call Smoke Hollow to get a new regulator. Will that solve my issue or am I doing something wrong?

Needless to say, it’s not been a set and forget at all. I’m constantly going out to limit the heat and wish I could use both burners, but it’s just too hot.

Appreciate any help!

Sorry I'm not familiar with the SH. Anyway I'll bump this thread up so it will get more looks, and don't worry about cooking a turkey at higher temps. I do mine at 325*+.

Chris

like gmc said u want to do a turkey at higher temps to get crisp skin. The Smoke Hollow gassers r not a set it & forget it. They r a thin metal construction with no insulation. The weather has a big effect on them. I actually built a little shed for mine because we get a lot of wind here. A little adjustment on the gas goes a long way. If temps vary by 25 degrees it will be ok unless doing sausage or other stuff that u have to worry about fat outs. Be patient with it. In time u will be able to set it close to what u want. As far as high temps there is a few things u can do. Do u have all vents wide open? R u using the water pan? U can also turn your gas valve back from low towards the off position which lowers gas intake (unless they have changed the valve over the years) or get a needle valve to put on hose coming off gas bottle. U need to make sure flame does not go out to create a bomb by building up gas inside then igniting. I've been using a 38" Smoke Hollow since 07. Actually it's real close time to replace it. I have a few mods on mine to make it better. If I can be of more help let me know. With patients & use time things will fall into place for u.

like gmc said u want to do a turkey at higher temps to get crisp skin. The Smoke Hollow gassers r not a set it & forget it. They r a thin metal construction with no insulation. The weather has a big effect on them. I actually built a little shed for mine because we get a lot of wind here. A little adjustment on the gas goes a long way. If temps vary by 25 degrees it will be ok unless doing sausage or other stuff that u have to worry about fat outs. Be patient with it. In time u will be able to set it close to what u want. As far as high temps there is a few things u can do. Do u have all vents wide open? R u using the water pan? U can also turn your gas valve back from low towards the off position which lowers gas intake (unless they have changed the valve over the years) or get a needle valve to put on hose coming off gas bottle. U need to make sure flame does not go out to create a bomb by building up gas inside then igniting. I've been using a 38" Smoke Hollow since 07. Actually it's real close time to replace it. I have a few mods on mine to make it better. If I can be of more help let me know. With patients & use time things will fall into place for u.

Appreciate the response! I plan to build a little stand for mine that will roll around due to its size. Thinking of cutting some plyboard to put on a furniture roller with locking wheels.

I am going to try next time to just use one burner at a time. I am wondering if it was because my thermometer was located way on the right side of the smoker. Each time I would turn off the right burner, the temp on the thermometer would drastically drop. I had both vents open wide and each burner on low, but had the hardest time getting it to 225 - 235, it was constantly rising above 250. When I would turn off one burner, it then became hard getting it up to 225 - 235. Again, I am hoping it is because of the placement of the thermometer. Is there a recommended place to put it?

I kept debating between the Masterbuilt and Smoke Hollow, but finally settled on the Smoke Hollow due to two doors and the size.

Sorry I'm not familiar with the SH. Anyway I'll bump this thread up so it will get more looks, and don't worry about cooking a turkey at higher temps. I do mine at 325*+.

Chris

Seems awfully high? Everywhere I read and people I talked with said to do a turkey at 225. I also smoked some Mac N Cheese the last hour of the turkey. Biggest thing was the temperature, but I am hoping next time it will work properly.

Not too high at all. Poultry takes on smoke fairly quickly and there isn't a whole lot of fat(if any) to render out. So if you want crispy skin it will need to be smoked at a higher temp. If you go the 225* route then be careful about the amount of TBS you lay on the bird.

Chris

Not too high at all. Poultry takes on smoke fairly quickly and there isn't a whole lot of fat(if any) to render out. So if you want crispy skin it will need to be smoked at a higher temp. If you go the 225* route then be careful about the amount of TBS you lay on the bird.

Chris

How do you keep it low, for instance if I want to smoke salmon? Worried it will be difficult.

Chris

This is from the Smoke Hollow website:
Smoked Turkey
Select a 12 to 15 lb. turkey for best results in a smoker. Take the turkey out of the package and remove all internal parts and packaging. Wash turkey thoroughly and place it on paper towel to dry. Rub olive oil inside and out on the turkey and apply Head Country Original Rub inside body cavity and on the outside skin. Preheat smoker to 225 degrees and place turkey in smoker. You may baste with butter for more moisture, if you like. When turkey skin reaches your desired color, remove turkey from smoker, place in aluminum foil pan and cover with aluminum foil tightly. Place covered pan in smoker and continue cooking at 225 degrees. Check internal meat temperature, where the thigh meets the side of the turkey, every half hour for doneness. Turkey should take around 45 minutes per lb to reach 180 degrees serving temperature

How do you keep it low, for instance if I want to smoke salmon? Worried it will be difficult.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post I'm not all that familiar with the SH smoker. However when doing salmon I either cold smoke it or I smoke it at 250* degrees which is easily controlled in my WSM.

This is from the Smoke Hollow website:
Smoked Turkey
Select a 12 to 15 lb. turkey for best results in a smoker. Take the turkey out of the package and remove all internal parts and packaging. Wash turkey thoroughly and place it on paper towel to dry. Rub olive oil inside and out on the turkey and apply Head Country Original Rub inside body cavity and on the outside skin. Preheat smoker to 225 degrees and place turkey in smoker. You may baste with butter for more moisture, if you like. When turkey skin reaches your desired color, remove turkey from smoker, place in aluminum foil pan and cover with aluminum foil tightly. Place covered pan in smoker and continue cooking at 225 degrees. Check internal meat temperature, where the thigh meets the side of the turkey, every half hour for doneness. Turkey should take around 45 minutes per lb to reach 180 degrees serving temperature

That's one way of smoking turkey, but it's not how I do it. You'll find there are many ways to skin a cat in the smoking world. What you need to do is find a way that will work with the equipment that you have. All I was doing when I posted not to worry about the higher temps was trying to reassure you - your turkey wouldn't be ruined and watch the amount of smoke it takes on.

After a few smokes you'll get more familiar with your SH. Then you'll be able to tailor what you want to cook to how your smoker works.

Chris

Clip your thermometer on the same rack as your meat but not directly under it. Keep it a inch or 2 away from meat or whatever you're smoking. Stick around and you will find all kinds of info plus many opinions on how others do the same things differently because of personal preference. That is what is so great about this hobby. Can't help out with salmon but other should be along to give guidance

Clip your thermometer on the same rack as your meat but not directly under it. Keep it a inch or 2 away from meat or whatever you're smoking. Stick around and you will find all kinds of info plus many opinions on how others do the same things differently because of personal preference. That is what is so great about this hobby. Can't help out with salmon but other should be along to give guidance

Appreciate it!

I have the 44" smoke hollow. Have had success with it but it definitely needs a different regulator. I couldn't keep mine cool enough and after a few years couldn't get it hot enough. Finally broke down and bought a 20 psi regulator with a control knob on it. I cranked it up past 500 degrees in weather below 40 degrees just to see what I could get out of it. You can turn it way down if needed as well

Look up Bears recipe on fish. Used it for walleye and turned out awesome. Will definitely do again. 20181101_171036.jpg

Should work fine on salmon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky