Smoke Hollow 44 mod questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

big woot

Original poster
Mar 20, 2015
Louisville, Ky
I have had my smoke hollow 44 for about 2 years now. I have never modded it out but i am starting to want to do that now. I was thinking about a needle valve. I use only 1 burner at a time and usually can control this to about 225 - 250 with no problem. i didn't know if it was worth replacing the regulator with a needle valve. Also I have noticed i have some smoke leaking form my bottom door. I have read a lot that people are using the felt from the green eggs to fix this problem. Is there another or cheaper way to fix this issue or other felt I can use that is sold at a hardware store? Any other mod recommendations that you guys have would be good to.

I have had my smoke hollow 44 for about 2 years now. I have never modded it out but i am starting to want to do that now. I was thinking about a needle valve. I use only 1 burner at a time and usually can control this to about 225 - 250 with no problem. i didn't know if it was worth replacing the regulator with a needle valve. Also I have noticed i have some smoke leaking form my bottom door. I have read a lot that people are using the felt from the green eggs to fix this problem. Is there another or cheaper way to fix this issue or other felt I can use that is sold at a hardware store? Any other mod recommendations that you guys have would be good to.

Hi BW. Installing the needle valve certainly will help. I have a MB XL 40 that could maintain 225-250 out of the factory as well...but the big advantage of the needle is that you could maintain much lower temperatures consistently without flame blowout. This is extremely helpful for jerky, snack sticks or sausage making where a lower temperature is desired.

If you're only smoking ribs, butts, brisket etc.etc. I would stick with the original regulator since you sound comfortable with your smoker. Want to go lower than 220? Get a needle valve....and if you do, don't light your smoker with the valve fully open like I did...KABOOM!!...lol. I was only lucky I lost some hair on my hands and not anywhere else.

As far as other mods go. I use a CI pan over the burner. Water pan filled with sand. Grommets drilled for the probe wires on my Maverick. Also I drilled two small holes in the lower side where my Amazen Tube smoker sits to help with airflow.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky