Smoke Generator made from aluminum canner?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

justhunt

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
W. Va.
Hello all. I have a old presto 4 qt cooker made of cast aluminum. Safety is my thought using aluminum? What do y'all think? Thanks

Hello.  Here is my opinion for what it is worth.  Others may have different advice.  This is only my opinion.  My experience with cooking metals ( limited ) is that folks used aluminium for years without problem.  Then it was discovered that when using an aluminium pot to cook things like tomato sauce and cooking down things like citrus could be a bad thing.  Acidic items.  That seems to be the thing I read about.  I hope some one with more experience with aluminium will offer advice here.  My usual advice is : if in doubt, leave it out.  I hope one of the other members know better.  My instinct says you should be ok;  but not being sure my RULE says no.  Sorry couldn't help more.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Many of us use a mini WSM made from an aluminum tamale pot. My wife might argue that it's driven her crazy, but I think that has less to do with the aluminum than the man constantly playing with the smoker. I think you're ok.

Thanks Mdboatbum.  He hadn't received an answer so I had hope with this bump.  Well justhunt.  There ya go.  The man knows his stuff.  Good enough for me.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Hey justhunt

Now understand this and pay close attention--------this is just my opinion.  No research or facts involved.  BUT I'm turnring 65 in 2 weeks.  |I grew up eating out of aluminum pots, pans,and cookers of all types.  I'm still alive--not saying just what my mental capacity is.  But aluminum hasn't managed to kill me off yet.  Your call

Gary 

Aluminum is used in many pots and trays in commercial kitchens. It does not like very high heats and will distort from it. Yes acid can cause issues, but have not seen many from it.

In order to learn about this particular connection, I went to the Alzheimer's Society's fact sheet. They say that the link between Alzheimer's disease and aluminum is circumstantial and nothing conclusive has been proven. I also learned that the average Canadian ingests 10 milligrams of aluminum per day. I'd assume its roughly the same for other North Americans. The World Health Organization claims that we can ingest up to 50 milligrams of aluminum per day with no adverse effects.

Also, read this TreeHugger article written by Helen Suh Macintosh professor of environmental health at Harvard University. Basically, she says that the aluminum found in pots and pans isn't really that dangerous and that the amount of aluminum we absorb from cooking with aluminum pots is only 3-6 milligrams. But, she goes on to say that storing acidic foods in aluminum pots and pans is likely to leach more aluminum into the food than usual and not to store foods in such a way. Aluminum, like copper or steel pans, shouldn't be used if there are scrapes or gouges in the pan's cooking surface. It looks like aluminum isn't that dangerous, but worries still linger.

NOTE: Anodized aluminum pans can cook acidic food without any of the leaching problems that regular aluminum has.
This seems to be the general conseus , all things can be toxic, even water. Use moderation.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky