Smoke for two

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mike5051

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 7, 2015
New Orleans LA
Okay....My daughter is at college and it's just me and my lady.  I used to smoke and send food home with my daughter on weekends even though I knew my ex would be enjoying it.  I want to smoke this weekend so I'm looking for ideas.  The lady isn't fond of smoked chicken, so that is out.  She doesn't like pork tenderloin either, not enough flavor or moisture.  I would smoke some fish, but I'm not a fan. My last smoke was sticky baby backs and they were a hit.  Don't want to smoke ribs every time though.  

Thanks for any thoughts,

Mike

So many choices.

1.  Pork butt for pulled pork. 

2.  Tri tip (bottom sirloin) or cross rib roast for roast beef.

3.  Boneless country pork ribs.  Okay, I'm going to get sidetracked.  They've become my "I can make anything with this meat meat."  I've smoked 'em a bunch of ways, made pork fajitas out of them, sweet sauced 'em up like a tenderloin, braised on the smoky Kettle in a pan with everything from BBQ sauce to Hoisin sauce to Honey and Apple Jack.  Even used them in spaghetti sauce.  They are juicy and tender for slicing at 145F IT and pull apart - melt in your mouth at 190F IT.   They are my go-to meat for curing a Canadian style bacon too (leaner than pork butt but slightly less lean than a loin or tenderloin) 

4.  Smoked meat loaf, always a favorite.

5.  Brats.  They're good grilled, but I love 'em smoked.  Take to an IT of 165F and enjoy. 

6.  For the Kettle, beef, chicken, or pork fajitas using skirt steak/tri tip for beef, boneless thighs for chicken, and boneless country ribs for pork.  Marinate for a good 24 hours, though you can get by with 12.  Don't forget to include grilled onions and sweet peppers.  I like 'em best on the Kettle sliced thin in a frying pan with a little oil and the coals stoked with chunks of hickory.

7.  Wanna get REAL creative?  Smoked scratch pizza.  Lots of work but my kids always ask if I'm in the mood to make it when they come home.

A smoker is just a smoky oven, so anything you can make in the oven you can make in that WSM or the Kettle.        

Last edited:
I think a fattie sliced & put on slider buns would wow her.

You can put anything in it that she likes.

Al

Y'all are picky eaters.

How about roast beef, ABTs and some mac n cheese?
LOL!  

So many choices.

1.  Pork butt for pulled pork. 

2.  Tri tip (bottom sirloin) or cross rib roast for roast beef.

3.  Boneless country pork ribs.  Okay, I'm going to get sidetracked.  They've become my "I can make anything with this meat meat."  I've smoked 'em a bunch of ways, made pork fajitas out of them, sweet sauced 'em up like a tenderloin, braised on the smoky Kettle in a pan with everything from BBQ sauce to Hoisin sauce to Honey and Apple Jack.  Even used them in spaghetti sauce.  They are juicy and tender for slicing at 145F IT and pull apart - melt in your mouth at 190F IT.   They are my go-to meat for curing a Canadian style bacon too (leaner than pork butt but slightly less lean than a loin or tenderloin) 

4.  Smoked meat loaf, always a favorite.

5.  Brats.  They're good grilled, but I love 'em smoked.  Take to an IT of 165F and enjoy. 

6.  For the Kettle, beef, chicken, or pork fajitas using skirt steak/tri tip for beef, boneless thighs for chicken, and boneless country ribs for pork.  Marinate for a good 24 hours, though you can get by with 12.  Don't forget to include grilled onions and sweet peppers.  I like 'em best on the Kettle sliced thin in a frying pan with a little oil and the coals stoked with chunks of hickory.

7.  Wanna get REAL creative?  Smoked scratch pizza.  Lots of work but my kids always ask if I'm in the mood to make it when they come home.

A smoker is just a smoky oven, so anything you can make in the oven you can make in that WSM or the Kettle.        
Thanks Ray! 

I'm not picky but my better half sure is. I haven't tried a meatloaf, that is an awesome idea!

Mike

I vote for some beef ribs...love those things
Thanks Shoebe!   I can't find decent beef ribs around here.  I've smoked some before but was disappointed with the amount of meat and texture.  I may need to visit a proper butcher shop.

Mike

I think a fattie sliced & put on slider buns would wow her.

You can put anything in it that she likes.

Al
Thanks Al!  I love the idea of a fattie, but she won't eat sausage!  I was just informed that crabs are on the menu this weekend.

Mike

Surf and turf! I'll take a nice strip and shrimp any and everyday!:biggrin:

Thank you all for replying to this thread.  I felt kinda stupid today after posting it last night.  I'm feeling a little empty inside with my daughter on her own and not needing me to help take care of her.  I think I'm looking to smoke stuff that  won't remind me that she's not here. Thanks for the suggestions, this is the greatest group on the internet!

Mike

Surf and turf! I'll take a nice strip and shrimp any and everyday!
biggrin.gif
Shrimp will definitely be on the barbie this weekend!  

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky