Smoke flavor (propane vs pellet)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nursewizzle

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 10, 2013
Iowa City, Iowa
I currently have a GMG pellet cooker. Easy to use, set it and forget it... Right. I have had problems with auger, and other things. I can barely taste any smoke in the meat. Would I get better smoke from a propane smoker using chips or chunks? Better bark on my butts?

How high a temp are you smoking at? I've read that if you cook at to high a temp with a pellet pooper you won't get a real smokey flavor.

Chris

I've heard that as well. No matter what temp I've tried I haven't really noticed any flavor.

Pellet smokers with tight temperature control only feed two, or three pellets at a time to maintain temperature once they have reached their set point. However, many of the newer ones have a smoke setting that allows the temperature to drop 10 degrees, then adds several more pellets at once to get back to set point. The more pellets, the more smoke, the more flavor!

The addition of a a-maze-n smoke tray or the like to your pellet pooper will flavor better IMHO that a propane cooker and wood chips.

I don't have the maze but I have the tube and I add it to every cook. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky