Smoke daddy PIG on the RECTEC

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mike guy

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 12, 2019
thanks to other the other discussions about this cold smoker I bought one a few months ago but never got around to installing it.

I Finally got around to it and I’m dialing it in. My thoughts are this thing burns pretty dirty if you run it as instructed. But with a few changes I have it putting out the right looking and smelling smoke.

I added a valve so I can shit off the smoke if it’s dirty. I’ve removed the bottom cap entirely for more air. And I’m running the top cap slightly off. I might need to make a daisy wheel style but this seems to work. With these changes I get flame combustion and not smoldering wood. I’m getting smoke that I would actually consider letting touch my food.

This setup won’t last long I’ll have to add wood chunks often, but really that doesn’t seem like a problem. Can easily do that for the start of a cook and then let the pellet grill hold the temps when I have a bark.

I’ll be doing a brisket tonight and see how it goes.

B9C481C7-89B3-499E-882A-C4F237397F15.jpeg

You can sort of see the flame. Without this airflow this thing is not putting out the good stuff. I am already thinking out a pump upgrade and putting an airline in the bottom for more air.
301343D3-23AF-44AA-8E45-59629B59488B.jpeg

thanks to other the other discussions about this cold smoker I bought one a few months ago but never got around to installing it.

I Finally got around to it and I’m dialing it in. My thoughts are this thing burns pretty dirty if you run it as instructed. But with a few changes I have it putting out the right looking and smelling smoke.

I added a valve so I can shit off the smoke if it’s dirty. I’ve removed the bottom cap entirely for more air. And I’m running the top cap slightly off. I might need to make a daisy wheel style but this seems to work. With these changes I get flame combustion and not smoldering wood. I’m getting smoke that I would actually consider letting touch my food.

This setup won’t last long I’ll have to add wood chunks often, but really that doesn’t seem like a problem. Can easily do that for the start of a cook and then let the pellet grill hold the temps when I have a bark.

I’ll be doing a brisket tonight and see how it goes.

View attachment 438230

Mike Guy, what type of charcoal are you using for your base burn, lump coal or briquettes? I know you know... Treat the Magnum P.I.G. like it’s an offset stick burner attached to your grill. Fire/burn management is very important along with airflow. Once the charcoal base is white hot and after your wood fuel source has settled in, you’ll see less tws and more tbs. I’ve noticed that the tws quality wasn’t bad, it’s was just the volume of it. You’ll see after your first cook what I mean. The white hot charcoal base is putting out tbs, once the wood chunks or chips burn has settled, then it to will produce tbs as well. Good luck and post back your results after your first cook. I know Kstone113 has one on his RecTec Pellet Grill as well. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/understanding-smoke-management-updated-12-08-14.139474/

It took a few cooks to get mine dialed in and overall I’m very happy with the Magnum P.I.G.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Hey RCAlan, yep I started with your thread to get a head start. I’m using lump charcoal and right I made a hot base of coals before I added any wood. Yep I’m treating this like a mini offset. Lots of room for air. Small splits that combust fast. Air is the name of the game.

I can always just fire up my offset and finish on the pellet grill, but if I can short cut that and heating that beast up, this feels like it might be a winner.

I can already tell I will want a higher cfm air pump that feeds both the bottom and the top. I want full ignition before I let the gasses into the cook chamber.

I’m sort of thinking about added a rocket stove style intake for a better burn. Hahaha we’ll see.

Reactions: RCAlan
I’m looking forward to seeing your progress and the results of your first brisket too... I’m sure you’re going to enjoy your new SD Smoke Generator a lot.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Good luck on it but ditch the galvanized fittings for safety reasons, black iron is what you need

Reactions: sawhorseray
Not quite my first brisket but we’ll see how she turns out

Good luck on it but ditch the galvanized fittings for safety reasons, black iron is what you need
What’s the safety issue? I’m not a plumber but these are for steam pipes so I’m not immediately seeing the problem.

Ahh they are only rated to 390f dang good call I saw steam rates and went for it. Hopefully I didn’t already burn off zinc. Thanks!

I will just echo what RCAlan said. You probably saw one of my posts in the other thread. I got my Magnum PIG in December. I've used it maybe like 5 to 10 times. I have been very happy with the results.

I will say I'm not sure why SmokeDaddy's instructions say to fill out completely. That will most definitely produce bad smoke. Doing that is similar to filling your firepot with a lot of pellets(like 2 hands fulls). I don't know if you've ever done that but I have and a ton of white smoke comes out until the fire is going.

I didn't install a valve or anything. When I am doing mine, I get the charcoals going, I leave off the bottom part for more air flow and leave the pump on air and don't put my food on and I've just been leaving my grill off until the charcoals are hot(white-ish) and then I add wood and then I turn on my grill. You will doing something similar but slightly different with your valve. Others on here installed a valve also. I personally just didn't see it necessary but I will say it would be nice to have but I've been fine without one.

Reactions: RCAlan
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky