SMF is BACK ONLINE

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thank you for the update! I didn't receive any email newsletter and was concerned that the forum was done for. Very happy to have it back, and a huge THANK YOU to everyone one of you that got the site back up and running. A part of my life's enjoyment was severely missing.
Very glad to have you back. And from what I can tell, everything is restored flawlessly!

I appreciated getting an email on Monday PM explaining the situation even though the expected time of restored service was unknown. Apparently DW did not. Maybe a good idea to remind folks to ensure they're on Jeff Phillips' Smoking-Meat.com email list.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
why not just restore from the off site backup days ago?
If the server site (host) is intact, a restore is about a day to build the forums.
The host site was compromised in this situation, so you are at the mercy of facilities to restore mechanical and electrical services.
I feel they did a pretty good recovery considering the extent of the damage.
My forward would be looking for a different host that offers redundancy in several sites

Reactions: zwiller
A lot of problem was getting the electrical done and inspected after the fire to find out what all was damaged and fix it. The fire inspector had the whole building's electrical shut down so the entire system had to be inspected after the repairs were made and it was multiple inspections so all that takes time. Once the electric was back on then they could find out what else was needed and then start the repairs and getting it all back online. It would have been nice to have been back up faster but it is what it is and somethings are beyond our control.

The host site was compromised in this situation, so you are at the mercy of facilities to restore mechanical and electrical services.
The ONLY time this would ever matter is if WebNX was the only host to ever exist in the world. WebNX caught fire, restore from backups to ANY of the thousands of other web hosts in less than a day.

The job of getting things back to normal as possible in the amount of time you did was fantastic. Lucky we did not lose the entire system and all its contents
For those that think they could have done it better have at it and start your own forum. If you don't understand the process of having inspections done you have a lot to learn.

Thanks to the crew for a great job well done.

Warren

The ONLY time this would ever matter is if WebNX was the only host to ever exist in the world. WebNX caught fire, restore from backups to ANY of the thousands of other web hosts in less than a day.

I would venture that there are contractual obligations to consider here as well.
Since the power to the entire datacenter was shut off and remained shut off until the fire inspector gave the "all clear" means that no one could access the back up data anyway.

All in all, SMF staff did an outstanding job to get things done and back on line.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky