SMF Friends - Email Scam Alert!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
true story! Spam is a staple in Hawaiian cuisine
I second that, in the mid 60's my dad got stationed in Thailand, so my mother and I stayed with her parents (she was born/raised in Hawaii) in Paauilo Hawaii.  I was 6 or 7 yrs old and lived on Spam, sweet bread and spam sandwiches actually, pretty much the only thing I would eat.  We were there for a year and a half. Well that and Malasadas (a powdered yeast roll donut type thing) Man I miss them things.  Kings Hawaiian comes close to the sweet bread, but not near as good, so I can still have the spam sandwiches now and do often.

Back in the day the cans were opened by rolling back a strip of steel, using a key that was soldered to the bottom of the can.

Thus the Spam-Ku:

So much depends on
the little key on the can
and the waiting tab.

This brought back many memories of keys on Vienna sausage, sardines, SPAM and other tinned meats. I wonder if there is any processor still using that technology. I don't think I've seen one of those keys in over 50 years. I'll bet it would blow some gen-x kids minds to see one. Anybody still got one? I think I had one in my tackle box lo these many years ago. Still got the box; might have to dig it out and look to see.

Thanks, BlueWhisper!!!!

This brought back many memories of keys on Vienna sausage, sardines, SPAM and other tinned meats. I wonder if there is any processor still using that technology. I don't think I've seen one of those keys in over 50 years. I'll bet it would blow some gen-x kids minds to see one. Anybody still got one? I think I had one in my tackle box lo these many years ago. Still got the box; might have to dig it out and look to see.

Thanks, BlueWhisper!!!!

Everyone in a blue moon I still find a canned item with a key. Which of course means I have to buy it and try what's inside! The last item was some thing called ham but more closely resembled a Mixture of spam and dried beef with yellow sauce if some sorts.

Reactions: rabbithutch
I find a tin of sardines or herring at The World Market once in a while. I love it!

I hate these pull tab sardine cans that are guaranteed to splash you with oil or tomato etc. when you open them.

Last edited:
I think we should have a spam sculpture throw down!!!

f371f447b27f5f66c7498094dee19239.jpg

5590675cbba9341f9cb47e89ace4ba6f.jpg

e4b1bb06279c11b5384f7763882d5258.jpg

Smoke away!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky