Smashed Burger...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I hope your A1C comes down soon, hang in there. I'm guessing the jabbing yourself in the stomach means your doc has started you on insulin?
Yep.

Went from "no you do not have diabetes" to "here, jab this in your stomach every day," in 2-months...

Don't want to hijack the thread, so I'll shut up, but I do hope your bloodwork comes out OK. I've been the pre-diabetic route on/off over the years, but watching my diet usually gets me out of trouble. I think it's time to straighten up my act again.

Sorry spook, I combined you and clifish. You're the "lucky" one who gets to monitor your blood glucose levels and play the "adjust the insulin game". Not much fun.
That is alright spook and I are unfortunately on the same path, I hope spook can get it under control and drop the insulin, no fun playing those games.

Dealing with this, in light of the Walmart-grade medical care, just depresses me, but thanks for the words of encouragement.

Dealing with this, in light of the Walmart-grade medical care, just depresses me, but thanks for the words of encouragement.

That's how almost every medical group operates these days and the incompetency borders on malpractice.
The last "doctor" told my wife to stop taking insulin and then maxed out the amount of Metformin she was taking. Of course her BGLs shot up to over 300 and she was very worried and called her doctor. The doctor told her to stop monitoring her blood glucose.
That's when I got on the phone and asked the doctor how high should we let her glucose level get? Should we wait until she goes into diabetic ketoacidosis and call 911?
The doctor must have figured out where I was headed. She said, "tell your wife to start injecting her usual insulin units". My wife changed doctors shortly afterward.
This particular doctor no longer works for that medical group.

Reactions: sawhorseray
I let the endocrinologist handle my diabetes not my primary, this is what they do.

My wife has been on health insurance side for the last 30 years and they are no better. The amount of times she has had to get involved for various things over the years is mind boggling. If she did not have working relationships with all the VP's in various departments I don't know what I would have done at times. I really feel bad for everyone that has to confront the Insurance companies from the outside.

Yes sir, perfectly cooked and truly, no bun is needed. Do you put a nice steak on a bun? I know I don't but still love them. Half the time we do burgers I toss the bun half way through anyway.
I could not ask for more!
A man who appreciates the fact that something simple can be spectacular. Sure, a nice meal is great but they don't all have to be over the top. Scale back, sit back, relax, and enjoy :emoji_wink:

Robert

Yes sir, perfectly cooked and truly, no bun is needed. Do you put a nice steak on a bun? I know I don't but still love them. Half the time we do burgers I toss the bun half way through anyway.

A man who appreciates the fact that something simple can be spectacular. Sure, a nice meal is great but they don't all have to be over the top. Scale back, sit back, relax, and enjoy :emoji_wink:

Robert
Thank you Robert - I strive to live by the idiom that less, is more.

Last edited:
Thank you Robert - I strive to live by the idiom that less, is more.
I've kinda picked up on that :emoji_wink: Most times I tend to agree but once in a while it's fun to pull out all the stops and do something really nice. most meals around here live by your creed though.

Robert

I have no photos to prove it (darned iPhone was in the house) but I just cooked another 1/2-pound 80/20 chuck smash burger with SPO&G and cheddar cheese on the cast iron griddle over a fire, only I added a grilled EVOO & S&P marinated portobello mushroom cap to the top of the burger and my God do those flavors go together well - that was the best tasting burger I ever ate.

And the best part is it is KETO friendly and doesn't spike my blood sugar!

Last edited:
Man there is just something about the sear that hot cast iron puts on a burger - it just tastes great. Another 1/2-pound 80/20 chuck burger SPO&G this time with 2-slices of "Better Than Good" brand Bacon! And it really IS better than good 😎

IMG_1411.JPG

Last edited:
Retired Spook Retired Spook

Keto is good for diabetics (so sayeth my doctor and my girls' heart doctor - who is a pretty renowned heart surgeon in his spare time). I was hesitant on keto until she talked to him about it, because surely that much fat is going to blow your vascular system up, right? Nope - he does keto and advocates for it to a lot of his patients.

It lets you eat like a king - just without the bread, rice, noodles, carrots and taters. And you can find substitutes/keto versions for just about everything I just mentioned. Might be a little pricier, but they are there.

Ya gotta like olive oil and butter though. Mayo is also your friend.

Sounds like you are already on the right path!

Reactions: Retired Spook
Hey I just discovered another great reason - a fantastic reason actually - to sear smash burgers outside on the cast iron griddle over the fire pit - it keeps the stove clean :emoji_laughing:

Man I just made one inside (it's a bit rainy outside) and what a mess!!! Oh well time to get the orange oil out and get to work.

Reactions: SherryT
Hey I just discovered another great reason - a fantastic reason actually - to sear smash burgers outside on the cast iron griddle over the fire pit - it keeps the stove clean :emoji_laughing:

Man I just made one inside (it's a bit rainy outside) and what a mess!!! Oh well time to get the orange oil out and get to work.

Yeah, hot splattering grease DOES make a mess!

What makes one of the WORST messes in the kitchen, IMO, is frying chicken livers! If you don't poke them WELL with a fork BEFORE you drop them into the oil, pressure can build up inside them and when it ruptures, grease goes EVERYWHERE...including on YOU!
OUCH!!!!!!! :emoji_astonished:

Reactions: Retired Spook
:emoji_laughing: I haven't had liver since I was a kid and grandma would make liver (calf I think?) and onions with bacon! Man that stuff was good.

Reactions: SherryT
I cannot eat bread but my God did this taste good! 1/2-pound of 80/20 Chuck with SPG&O and that's it! I've cooked many burgers in cast iron skillets but for some reason this just exceeded all of them - I guess I lucked out and got the fire just right.

A member in another smash burger thread reminded me that I had the Lodge CI Griddle hiding in a closet so I dug it out and cleaned it up and re-seasoned it and this is the first cook on it since doing that.

I could not ask for more!
View attachment 650395

Cheddar added
View attachment 650396

Cooked perfect - tasted incredible. :emoji_thumbsup:
View attachment 650397
looks great... doing the same on new blackstone tonight

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky