Smashed Burger...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
I cannot eat bread but my God did this taste good! 1/2-pound of 80/20 Chuck with SPG&O and that's it! I've cooked many burgers in cast iron skillets but for some reason this just exceeded all of them - I guess I lucked out and got the fire just right.

A member in another smash burger thread reminded me that I had the Lodge CI Griddle hiding in a closet so I dug it out and cleaned it up and re-seasoned it and this is the first cook on it since doing that.

I could not ask for more!
IMG_1402.JPG

Cheddar added
IMG_1403.JPG

Cooked perfect - tasted incredible. :emoji_thumbsup:
IMG_1404.JPG

Last edited:
Yes, that does look good.
I'm not sure why griddle would be better than skillet. Was the meat the same as usual? 80/20 can make tastier burgers than the lean stuff.
It was just being outside with a fire going that made the burger taste so much better than usual :emoji_wink: All psychological!

IMHO a burger made from anything other than 80/20 chuck, just aint a burger...

It was just being outside with a fire going that made the burger taste so much better than usual :emoji_wink: All psychological!

IMHO a burger made from anything other than 80/20 chuck, just aint a burger...
My CI skillets are not perfectly flat/smooth. The centers are slightly higher, either from manufacturing (Lodge) or from residue buildup, so the grease tends to drain towards the edges. In contrast, the grease in your newly seasoned griddle is pooling and beading up around your patty. But like you said, you may just be experiencing OEE, the "outdoor enhancement effect."

WAY back when I was low-carbing, that's how I ate burgers...add/melt the cheese, plate the burger, add desired toppings, devour.

I still occasionally eat them like that...good stuff!

Reactions: Retired Spook
Hard to beat a good smashburger. I'm surprised they don't show up on more bar/pub menu's. I discovered sometime ago to smash the burger before putting it on the griddle. Keeps all the juices in the burger. Then I just rest the smash tool on top of the burger to make sure it is all making contact with the griddle.

tasty-burger.jpg

Orowheat makes Keto/low carb hotdog and burger buns.
Mr. SHS gets them since she is type 2 diabetic and can't eat bread either.
She says that they aren't bad taste wise.
But they are small and kind of pricey compared to lettuce wraps.

Stu

View attachment 650474

Orowheat makes Keto/low carb hotdog and burger buns.
Mr. SHS gets them since she is type 2 diabetic and can't eat bread either.
She says that they aren't bad taste wise.
But they are small and kind of pricey compared to lettuce wraps.

Stu
I am type 2 also and someone suggested blanched green cabbage wraps - they use em for tacos! :emoji_laughing: I am going to give it a try and I will look for the Orowheat low carb burger buns and give them a try too!

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I am type 2 also and someone suggested blanched green cabbage wraps - they use em for tacos! :emoji_laughing: I am going to give it a try and I will look for the Orowheat low carb burger buns and give them a try too!

Mrs. SHS certainly missed the bun for her burgers, brats, etc.
It made me feel guilty as hell when grilling the patties then building a huge burger with the fixins. Now, neither of us needs to feel guilty.

The hamburger buns are 3 net carbs. Not too bad.

Stu

Good looking burger! I love that crust on it. Nicely done!

Coincidentally, I made a couple burgers for my wife and me last night in cast iron pans on the grill. My wife eats hers keto style. I don't but probably should. Anyway, I "discovered" burgers in cast iron on the grill a few months back and I won't go back to grilling them the "normal" way.

Nice job spooky, i am also a type 2 and have used Boston bib lettuce as a bun or keto type buns...man I really miss real bread.

Nice job spooky, i am also a type 2 and have used Boston bib lettuce as a bun or keto type buns...man I really miss real bread.
I am having great difficulty adjusting - the doc now has me jabbing myself in the stomach every night trying to derive the appropriate dose, and even the slightest quantity of carbohydrates seems to wreck my numbers. This after 10-years straight of telling doctors I have diabetes and them telling me no, I do not, after each test... About 2-months ago I received an urgent call from the latest doctor telling me that, yes, I do have diabetes, with very high A1C - so the last 2-months have been challenging.

The paradox is that since childhood, I've never liked bread or pasta or potatoes etc., etc. I would eat some occasionally but would almost always regret it because I would feel lethargic for 2-days after doing so. Just was never a big carb or sugar eater, so I have no clue how all this happened, or why I am so sensitive to even the smallest amount now.

Frankly, I think the medical community is no better than Walmart - its a business run for the cheapest cost to get the greatest return, and beyond that no one really gives a ****.

The philosophy that killed this Country.

But, the burger was great, even without the bread that I have done without 9-times out of 10 prior to all this diabetes nonsense.

I guess I am going to learn how long I can live on naked smashburgers and Chili with no beans...

Last edited:
Reactions: 3montes
man I really miss real bread.
I understand that one. I'm gluten intolerant, and while I've found a pasta that is gluten free and tastes just fine (Barilla), gluten free bread is pretty bad. I have found one brand that's sorta OK, but it's 10 bucks for a 12-ounce loaf. I bought a pullman loaf pan and will try making my own.

I hope your A1C comes down soon, hang in there. I'm guessing the jabbing yourself in the stomach means your doc has started you on insulin?

I understand that one. I'm gluten intolerant, and while I've found a pasta that is gluten free and tastes just fine (Barilla), gluten free bread is pretty bad. I have found one brand that's sorta OK, but it's 10 bucks for a 12-ounce loaf. I bought a pullman loaf pan and will try making my own.

I hope your A1C comes down soon, hang in there. I'm guessing the jabbing yourself in the stomach means your doc has started you on insulin?
nope not for me, anytime they wave the needle I get back in line. At the beginning of the year I was down 30+ lbs and my A1C was down to 6. I have slacked a bit and put back about 7-8 lbs and it has slipped up to 7. Just had blood work this AM so we will see, I doubt I went higher as I have been watching more closely.... I think.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky