Smash burger heaven

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Danblacksher

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 15, 2022
Brandon, Mississippi
I took my burgers to the next level tonight. I have never had a strong burger game. I decided to try smash burgers after watching a video. I have only made smash burgers once last Saturday as a practice run with some venison bacon burger. I told all my family to be home tonight for dinner it was going to be special. I used ground chuck, one other real lean cut I found on sale, I cannot remember the name, and fat trimmings from a brisket I did Saturday. This morning I ran the meat thru the grinder and formed the meatballs to be smashed before I left for work. When I got home I made olive oil brioche buns from scratch. I made the burgers on my offset with a big cast iron skillet on top of the fire. I used American cheese on some and cheddar cheese on some. I then put Chipolte mayo aioli I made Saturday, with raw thin sliced onions on mine, and my sons. My wife, mother-in-law, 2 daughters, 2 sons, and my daughter's boyfriend all sat quietly trying to understand how what they were eating could be so good. Worth every second. The olive oil brioche buns are unbelievably good! I now have a strong burger game. lol

I used bread flour for the recipe

OLIVE OIL BRIOCHE BURGER BUNS NOTE : all metric measurements are in weight for maximum accuracy. The amount of flour you use will vary depending on the protein level of your flour.

Poolish ¼ cup all purpose flour (35 gm )
¼ cup warm milk (50 ml)
1 tsp. instant yeast (4 gm )

2 ¼ cups all purpose flour (320gm )
approximately 3 eggs ( 160 gm )
¾ tsp kosher salt (3 gm )
2 Tbsp. honey (25 grams)
2 Tbsp. milk (25ml )
½ cup - extra virgin olive oil (110 gm )
Sesame seeds, optional

Mix in small bowl the polish ingredients with whisk. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 20-30 minutes until bubbly. In a stand mixer fitted with a hook attachment , combine the rest of the flour(holding back 2 Tbsp) salt and stir. Add the poolish, eggs, milk , honey and work on low speed to blend completely, for 3-4 minutes. Dough will be sticky. Let rest for 5 minutes. Increase speed to medium and work until dough is completely smooth and releases from the sides of bowl, about 6-8 minutes. Scrape down the sides often to make sure all dough is cleared. If dough does not release from sides , you cans sprinkle in the reserved 2 Tbsp flour. With machine on low speed, pour in olive oil in a slow stream ¼ at a time, waiting till the dough absorbs it before adding more. It will look like a mess. It may take up to 8-10 minutes to blend. Turn onto counter and finish kneading by hand until olive oil is fully blended and smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 ½ - 2 hours. Divide and shape into 8 equal pieces. Shape them into balls and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Press down slightly. Cover with a towel and let proof in a warm room for about 1 hour or until doubled in bulk. Preheat oven to 375 D and bake in lower third of oven for 22-25 minutes or until dark brown.

Attachments

• DB35D08F-BD8C-477C-A267-C42E8BC810ED.jpeg
    DB35D08F-BD8C-477C-A267-C42E8BC810ED.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 59
  • D020CD7B-F70B-462C-99E4-CB388284DF7E.jpeg
    D020CD7B-F70B-462C-99E4-CB388284DF7E.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 9301DBD9-B478-484F-B006-51DB079171EA.jpeg
    9301DBD9-B478-484F-B006-51DB079171EA.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
The buns are Incredible. I am going to make all-beef foot-long hot dogs and make the olive oil brioche buns for them. I am just trying to figure out what diameter cellulose casing is for a foot long.

You are right big furmn. The buns were so soft no body wanted them cut in 1/2. I spatchcocked and smoked a Turkey last week and made a Turkey bacon cheese and avocado sandwich with homemade Mayo, and 1/2 way thru the sandwich I thought I should have taken a picture lol.

Thank you everyone and yes Brokenhandle I was just looking at flat top griddles. I have a Bell Fabrication offset smoker on order but I can see that as the purchase in the near future for sure!.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky