Smallmouth Bass (Catch & Release)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Smallmouth Bass (Catch & Release)

I figured some of you might enjoy these Pics, and another Bear story:

My Dad, My Son, and Myself have done a lot of fishing over the years. We fished most of the Trout Streams in 6 of the Eastern counties of PA, and most of the Lakes that were open to the public, and a couple of Rivers. My Dad & I spent many a day & nights on the Delaware River, that runs mostly between PA and NJ. We mostly fished from shore at night, for Catfish, and by boat during the day for Smallmouth Bass.

So after teaching Bear Jr most of what I know about fishing, he has since branched off into Shad Fishing, and He also ran up to New York for the Salmon run, and then a month later for the Huge Trout that go upstream to eat the Salmon eggs that were just deposited. I’m talking Trout in the 30” range!!!

Anyway—Bear Jr decided he wanted to know more about another Pennsy’ River.
We never did much fishing in the “Susky” Susquehanna River, because in my day, I believe the Delaware had more to offer, and it was a lot closer.

When I was in school, from about 5th grade on, my Dad & I used to sometimes run over to the River (Delaware) after school, during the week. My Dad would put the 12’ Aluminum “Smoker Craft” boat, In the back of his truck by himself, load up all of our fishing stuff (including a bucket of "Killi Minnows"), and wait at the end of the driveway for me to get home from school. My Bus stop was almost a mile from my home, and there was a big bend in the road, and when I came around that bend toward My Dad, sitting in his Truck waiting, I better be Running at Top Speed, because if I aint running, that means I don’t want to go bad enough, and he would just leave without me, and catch all the fish by himself!!!

<<< End of Bear’s “Flash-back”>>>

The Susky is allot more shallow, and full of rocks & boulders, and seems to be very hard to fish, so Bear Jr decided instead of taking a lifetime to learn how to fish it, he would pay a Guide to take him out on it, and see how much he can learn that way.

So he found a Guide & boat that he liked, and he took his Wife Bethany along, from 2 PM to 7 PM. He learned that this guide knew where many of the rocks are in at least a few miles stretch of the river, and with a Jet powered boat, you can maneuver your way between and around the rocks, if you’re very careful.

They were busy pulling Smallmouth Bass in for the whole time they were out there, and caught 62 Smallmouths between them in 5 hours. Bear Jr figures most were between 10” and 12” long, 6 or 7 of them were over 15”, and one was over 17”. He said he also had one on that jumped near the boat & shook the hook, that be believed was at least 20” long. The Guide agreed with the estimate.

So they had fun, and caught a lot of one of the hardest fighting freshwater fish we know of, and he’ll be going back to catch more, and maybe bring some home to his Dad. This package he had was only for “Catch & Release”. My guess is they don’t want to help people to catch fish & keep them, and eventually fish themselves out of business.

I selected 3 of the best pics for you guys to see.
Hope You enjoy them:

Bear

Bear Jr, with a Nice Smallmouth Bass:
0-2.jpeg

Bethany trying not to be outdone:
0-5.jpeg

Another Nice Bronzeback:
0-4.jpeg

Great write up and accompanying story John. Those fish look real good. Thanks for sharing.

Nice pics and fish Bear! I’ve fished the Susquehanna a few times but mainly for night catfishing.

I started fly fishing pretty regularly again. I’m mainly on the Lehigh.

A few nice fish there John! When your fishin' partner is your wife you get to do a lot more fishin', know that for a fact. RAY

Reactions: DRKsmoking
A few nice fish there John! When your fishin' partner is your wife you get to do a lot more fishin', know that for a fact. RAY
Thank You Ray!!
Now I got a good one for you:
I used to take Mrs Bear with me a lot, but the funniest one was when Bear Jr was just a little Guy:
We were in the Poconos, so we rented a Wooden Row Boat to take Bear Jr fishing. We were on "Peck's Pond", and I rowed all the way to the far side, because that's where all the grass & stumps & Lily Pads were. Meanwhile Bear Jr laid on Mom's lap & fell asleep. Then it started raining, so we covered him up & I started rowing my tail off to get back to the Docks. I busted the Oar-lock right out of the boat, so that slowed me up quite a bit, so I just stopped & went back to fishing. It rained hard & a lot, and there was a few inches of rain water in the bottom of the boat. So Bear Jr wakes up---He was still groggy & half asleep, and he looks down at the water in the bottom of the boat and says, "Holy Crap, Dad, The Boat's Leaking!!"
LOL---He was always good for a laugh!!

Bear

When your fishin' partner is your wife you get to do a lot more fishin', know that for a fact. RAY

That is the truth, Mona and I still find time to fish together. Either just down to the dock in the back yard or on the rocks on the coast or out in a boat a mile or 3 off shore . We love it . And always a fun time

David

Nice pics bear, fished the susky quite a few times, definitely some good fishing.
Thank You Jim!!
Funny I never fished it. I guess there was always another place needing my attention. So many places to fish---So little time!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Great write up and accompanying story John. Those fish look real good. Thanks for sharing.
Thank You Mike!!
And for the Like.

Bear

We don't have any smallmouths in my neck of the woods, but I have caught quite a few on Cherokee Lake in Tennessee. They are real fighters and quite acrobatic. 62 fish in 5 hours...WOW!! That's a nice day of fishing and tons of fun...

Nice pics and fish Bear! I’ve fished the Susquehanna a few times but mainly for night catfishing.

I started fly fishing pretty regularly again. I’m mainly on the Lehigh.
Thank You Xray!!
I never got into Fly-Fishing---Strictly "Open-face Spinning Reels".
I did most of my Smallmouth fishing in the Delaware, and the biggest one I ever caught was 17 1/4", but it looks bigger, because I had Bear Jr hold it when he was very small. We caught Smallmouths in the stretches with rocky bottoms, and Catfish at night in the stretches with Sandy bottoms.

Bear Jr is an avid Flyfisherman, and haunts the Lehigh Fly fishing only stretch too. It's not far from here.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Reactions: xray
Oh Yea!!
Mrs Bear got to fish in Texas & Hawaii, while I was stationed at those places, and she fished every year of our first 40 years of marriage.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Those are some nice small mouth .
Thank You Rich!
Bear Jr took his Helper along & went to the Delaware yesterday. They set up for Catfish, but before it got dark, they caught 4 Smallmouths in about a half hour. Didn't do good on Catties, so they came home. They're going again later today. He can get into some pretty rocky places with that "Jet Powered" boat. No prop to break.

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
John I really enjoyed the story. Your writing style is such I swear you could be an author. I do love catching smallmouth. A year ago I went up to the lower Niagara on a guided trip and we caught about 65 in two days. It was a great time and something I’ll do again. Look like Bear Jr and wife had a ball.

Good story Bear,
And the bass are a fun fish to catch. good fight for their size.
That's where I am off to in a half hour .

David

Thank You David!!
Yup, I ranked them many years ago, and I see no reason to change my rankings.
As far as NorthEast Fresh water Fish, Pound for pound fighters go:
#1. Rock Bass.
#2. Smallmouth Bass.
#3. Shad.

Bear

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Never caught Rock Bass

But we just got in a minute ago. Mona and I just playing with different lures
down on the dock.
Catching a few smallmouth as it was getting dark, mosquitos were winning .
Came in to scratch, lol

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky