Small Butt Going in the MES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AllAces

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Here's the plan:
Early tomorrow morning I plan to put this small 3 pound butt in the MES. It's thawing right now. Later I will add the following rub, wrap and leave in the fridge overnight. The rub consists of the following:
Brown Sugar; Smoked Spanish Paprika; Kosher Salt; Course Black Pepper; Red Pepper; Onion Powder; Garlic Powder; Chili Powder; Ground Bay Leafs; Mexican Oregano.
I plan to smoke with hickory until I get an internal temp of 150F.
Out of the smoker and into a slow cooker with about half a cup of frozen orange juice concentrate, a couple bay leaves and a tablespoon of peppercorns tied in cheese cloth.
Let it go on the low setting until internal temp is 170F.
Out of the cooker, make pulled pork and season with apple cider vinegar and red pepper flakes and a small amount of ground sage.
Serve warm on hamburger buns with coleslaw.

Attachments

• pork butt.jpg
    pork butt.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 11
Al is right, doesn't sound like 170 would make it tender enough for pulled pork. I would also wait till IT reached at least 160 before putting in the crock pot, but that's just me.

Let us know how it turns out. Your rub looks interesting.

I've done the crock pot trick a lot in the past on pork butts. I usually tried to hit 160-170 at least before going into a crock pot and I also had the crock pot preheated. Usually was making for the next day so would start at 7-8pm and usually pulled it off the smoker at around 1am, by the time all of us meet up for gameday it is ready and delicious.

I agree with Al about the Pulling at about 205°.

I would also keep it in the smoker until about 165° instead of 150°, to get a little more Smoke on it.

Have a Great Smoke & a Great Weekend!!

Bear

Pulled the butt at 175F; foiled for about 10 minutes; then in the crockpot with frozen orange juice concentrate and a couple bay leafs on top. I'll take it to 205F and pull a sample.

Attachments

• DSC06437.JPG
    DSC06437.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 9
My mini-butt came out of the crockpot at 205F. Perfect butt for pulling. Sufficient bark, light smoke flavor, deep flavor from the rub and a little tang from the OJ. Perfect pulled pork with help from Bearcarver and SmokinAl. Thanks dudes. This one's going fast. Not sure we'll have any left for lunch Sunday.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky