Small brisket directions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

new smoker h

Original poster
Jul 4, 2016
Ok, so I had a small 3 lb brisket for the Fourth of July. Spent several hours searching the forums to make sure I did it right. So for those of you new smokers out there, here is how to do a small brisket.....it was melt in your mouth awesome!

Day 1 rub with your favorite dry rub. I used garlic, paprika, salt, brown sugar, herbs de province and brick yard oven McCormick seasoning. Wrap in a large ziplock and place in refrig for 24 to 36 hours.

Day 2. Take meat out of fridge and let stand for at least 1 hour. Soaked cherry wood chips in water and apple juice. Filled electric smoker with 1/2 water and 1/2 apple juice in water tray, set to 235 degrees to preheat. Placed brisket fat side up in middle tray. Insert temp probe to center. Let meat start smoking. Add more cherry wood every half hour to get it good and smoky.

Have a beer

Smoke until the internal temp is 165 degrees (about 3 hours)). This is the stall temp where it stops gaining heat...don't worry! Then remove from smoker and wrap in foil with 1/2 cup beef stock mixed with crushed garlic. Make sure to double up the foil and make a sturdy boat to hold the meat. Close it tightly....really tight and put back in smoker. Raise heat to 250-275. Plan on another 2-3 hours of cooking. Total cooking time was 5 1/2 hours for a 3 lb point brisket.

Be careful and place thermometer into top of roast so you don't let the juice run out.

Have another beer.

When internal temp hits about 202 degrees, remove the roast and wrap in a beach towel and place in a cooler......let it rest for at least 1 hour....seriously. Rest for at least an hour. Cook the rest of your dinner. You will think that your brisket will be too done and cold......wrong! It will be spectacular!

Hope this helps you new smokers out there! Happy smoking!

Reactions: hot2trot
Glad to hear your brisket turned out so well.

Since I see this is your first post, would you swing by Roll Call & introduce yourself.

That way we can all give you a proper welcome.

Al

Sounds great
But no pics didnt happen
:welcome1:

Im glad your your brisket turned out well!
Next time try a packer and take some pictures!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac(Aaron)

Thanks All.....had no clue on how to add a picture and never even thought to take one.....next time!  And a full packer?  I'd have leftovers for weeks!  (Or maybe I could feed my neighbors as well!)

New Smoker H

E*

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky