Small batch sausage stuffing recommendations

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

polarlys

Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
Somerset, NJ
I have a large stuffer and use it a few times a year with friends for large sausage making parties. In fact one coming up this week for about 250#. Works great and it's a keeper for sure. I'm interested in small batches to make at home for myself. The big stuffer works great but I need something small, easy to keep clean & sanitize and store. I was reading about some that use a jerky extruder and was wondering just how functional they are. I've never seen one, but I got the idea. A food service caulking gun. Is there an attachment funnel for stuffing sausage available ???? What's the price range of them and what's the best sources ???

Thanks all,
Merry Christmas & Happy New year

Roger from NJ

Northern tool has a good stuffer at a great price....

Hover over image to zoom

[+] What do you think of our product images?
Reg. $99.99
Sale $79.99
Save $20.00

Add to Cart
Item in Cart
Add to Cart
  • 5-lb. capacity stuffer for home sausage making
  • Open metal gear system and traditional European design
  • Removable stainless steel cylinder and base for easy filling and quick cleaning
  • Food-grade plastic piston with a built-in pressure release valve to avoid blowouts and allow easy cleaning
  • 8 1/2in. handle for easy cranking
See full description
Backordered Online — will ship in 30 or more Business Days
shipping-truck.png
Ship it | See Shipping Options Buy it in a Store | Check Store Stock

Reactions: crazymoon
My big stuffer is similar to the Northern Tool one only BIGGER and made of cast iron with a SS container and weighs a ton. I'd guess it holds about 20# or so of meat. Beautiful tool and works great but just not practical for small batches for me. The Jerky extruder is a better option and I'd like to hear more about them and how well they work.

ThanX,
Roger from NJ

I have a large stuffer and use it a few times a year with friends for large sausage making parties. In fact one coming up this week for about 250#. Works great and it's a keeper for sure. I'm interested in small batches to make at home for myself. The big stuffer works great but I need something small, easy to keep clean & sanitize and store. I was reading about some that use a jerky extruder and was wondering just how functional they are. I've never seen one, but I got the idea. A food service caulking gun. Is there an attachment funnel for stuffing sausage available ???? What's the price range of them and what's the best sources ???

Thanks all,
Merry Christmas & Happy New year

Roger from NJ
Roger I have been using the LEM Jerky Cannon for years,they even have a tube for snack sticks.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/turkey-sausage-italian.282103/
Richie

Hi Rich. I was with the 20th Engineer Battalion in VN '70-'71. I've been giving some thought to the jerky cannon option. I do make jerky but I slice it thin and have never tried the extruded kind. If I go that route I'm sure to give it a go. Do you have any experience with jerky from ground meat ???? How's it come out ???? I'm in Somerset, NJ right next to New Brunswick. So we enjoy the same fine weather Mother Nature gives us.

Hi Rich. I was with the 20th Engineer Battalion in VN '70-'71. I've been giving some thought to the jerky cannon option. I do make jerky but I slice it thin and have never tried the extruded kind. If I go that route I'm sure to give it a go. Do you have any experience with jerky from ground meat ???? How's it come out ???? I'm in Somerset, NJ right next to New Brunswick. So we enjoy the same fine weather Mother Nature gives us.

Roger Thanks for your service,I never made ground Jerky.I bought the Cannon for sausage making,using the plastic tubes that it came with.Then upgraded to the SS.
Try the search engine for ground formed jerky
Richie
Don't be shy post some of your smokes

Well, I bought the bullet and ordered the Jerky Blaster from Cabelas. It looked to be one of the better ones and not being plastic I thought that was a +. The only shortcoming is it does not come with a tube for casing so I'm hoping to find some work-around for that. We'll see how that works out. I'm going to give it a go also at the ground meat jerky too and see how that works out in comparison to the sliced meat type. ThanX all for you input. I appreciate the discussion and comments.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all

Roger from NJ and soon to be Key West, Fla for awhile

Well, I bought the bullet and ordered the Jerky Blaster from Cabelas. It looked to be one of the better ones and not being plastic I thought that was a +. The only shortcoming is it does not come with a tube for casing so I'm hoping to find some work-around for that. We'll see how that works out. I'm going to give it a go also at the ground meat jerky too and see how that works out in comparison to the sliced meat type. ThanX all for you input. I appreciate the discussion and comments.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all

Roger from NJ and soon to be Key West, Fla for awhile
Rodger let me check if I still have the plastic tubes,I'll be out for awhile so give or take an hour.I'll find out
Richie
You will just have to measure the base to see if they are the same

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky