Slicing frozen pork loin...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SonnyE

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 13, 2017
Saugus, California
I found out something today with my 3rd load of jerky for the week (Or is it 4th?).
The Pork Loin was still fairly frozen, but I forged ahead and cut the fat cap off of it, and was surprised how well that went for frozen.
Then I proceeded to run it across my >Free< Krups, # 213, 70 watt, all plastic 'cept the blade slicer. I was amazed and very pleased that the funky cheapo slicer cut like a champ!
I expected it to whine, complain, and stall out, buck, and snort, and say Unh-Unh.
But instead, it sliced off better slabs for Jerky than I ever expected. 'Bout 1/4" thick, and right into the Maple-Brown Sugar Jerky Marinade in my vacuum marinader.

There was almost none of the dreaded trailing tailing's I've experienced with unfrozen to partially frozen meats.
It weighed out to be 1.5 Lbs after trimming, and before slicing. But I would never have expected a slicer smaller in wattage than some of my light bulbs to do so well.

I was looking at slicers this morning online. I still want a new one. But not because the little Krups couldn't hold it's own against a frozen chunk of porker.

I've made two loads of Teriyaki-Cyan Jerky, one of Teriyaki-Pepper, and now have the Maple-Brown Sugar marinading for tomorrows run. And still a hunk in the Deep Freezer.

Next pork loin is going to get trimmed before initial freezing, when it is fresh. Then no baloney, just Slice-a-Rony as I batch it out.

My hope is to make some Girl Jerky. Seems mine is a tad to "manly".
What? You women-folk don't like fartin fire in your draws? Afraid of blowin that thong in-too?
The Maple-Brown Sugar has NO heat added. I might have to get out the Tabasco just to taste-test the stuff. o_O
Call me Mr. Brownstain. :D

Even cheap can slice Jerky. ;)

It must be the water content. I tried to slice a cooked frozen loin (not jerky dry) and didnt work. It went fine for #1-3 slices but not for thick slices.

Reactions: SonnyE
Honestly, I didn't think the weinie slicer would do it. But it did.
This Krups was at #3 setting, which is ~1/4" thick, for it.
But better than that was how it left almost no "tail" at the end of the cut.

Mostly trying to find the right point in the Partially Frozen for slicing area.
I think I may have found it, or getting closer. Not rock hard, but not soft either.

I was given this little $49.95 slicer by my Daughter, who got it from her Grandmother. But she already has a slicer.
I cleaned it all up and sharpened the blade and been using it every since for my Jerky prep. I usually do 1-2 pounds of meat, as that is a good load for my Dehydro machine.

Looks like this.

Works for those on snug budgets. I never would have expected it to work as well as it does.
(I wish it would die so I could get a "real" slicer.) :rolleyes:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky