Slicer Experience

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GrumpyGriller

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 29, 2021
In another thread, I mentioned that I just started wet curing a pork belly...first attempt :)

It appears that many are recommending a slicer, so I've started looking around. I see that several on the forum apparently use the Chef's Choice 615/615A, but does anyone have experience with this one?

Other suggestions are of course welcomed!

Thanks
-GG

I've also looked at that one. Waiting to see some opinions. I dont really need a industrial slicer.
Jim
Exactly - I like the good stuff as well, but I'd rather have something on the lower end to see if I'll have enough use. The Chef's Choice is $139 vs this OSTBA one, and the wattage is 125 vs 150 or 200, though I don't really know if that matters much in practice. The one thing I remember is the CC goes up to 20mm in thickness whereas the OSTBA (and others) appear to have a max thickness of 15mm. For me, my initial use expectations is for bacon, so I don't think that matters much :)

Looking forward to hearing opinions (my bacon won't be ready for 13 days), but have a bit of time to make the decision!

-GG

Reactions: JLeonard
I have a nesco FS-250 . 180 watt 8.7 " The nesco's are great slicers . I got mine re-branded as Cabela's . It was recommended by Pop's who came from a family of meat cutters . The OSTBA look like the nescos . I'm not sure if they are tied in with each other or not . The one you posted would be one down from the 8.7 in some features . Easy to clean .
20181202_103025.jpg

The diameter of the blade might be important eventually for slicing bigger meats, and you'll probably never need 3/4" slices. How well it cuts thin is a bigger concern, at least for me. I've been getting by with an $89 Chard which is fine since I don't really use it a lot, but the back plate tends to bend a bit while pressing the meat against it, which makes even slices a little problematic.
The higher priced ones may be a bit sturdier....

Blade size could be a problem. You're probably going to need to cut the bacon into manageable pieces for the slicer. And it only comes with the serrated blade. Not a smooth one. Is there a option to purchase that?

The diameter of the blade might be important eventually for slicing bigger meats, and you'll probably never need 3/4" slices. How well it cuts thin is a bigger concern, at least for me. I've been getting by with an $89 Chard which is fine since I don't really use it a lot, but the back plate tends to bend a bit while pressing the meat against it, which makes even slices a little problematic.
The higher priced ones may be a bit sturdier....
Yep - tough balance :)

I purchased 2 small home slicers an was not impressed with them at all
so I went back to using a good sharp knife till I found a commercial one.
I kept an eye out and got a Hobart 12 inch that is manual or automatic for $200.
Very satisfied with it
Thanks - I am not sure how much I'll use one, but head spinning from all the reviews :) Site 1 would say X is great Y is awful, and the next site says Y is great and X is awful. I'll keep an eye out for a "good" one and we'll see what happens. Thanks!

Reactions: SmokyMose
I bought an inexpensive Cuisinart one. It meets my need but requires smaller pieces. Definitely more a toy than an industrial slicer but given the amount of usage it is good enough for bacon, tomatoes and bread for blt's and slicing pork loin for sandwiches.

Reactions: GrumpyGriller
I bought an inexpensive Cuisinart one. It meets my need but requires smaller pieces. Definitely more a toy than an industrial slicer but given the amount of usage it is good enough for bacon, tomatoes and bread for blt's and slicing pork loin for sandwiches.
I have a feeling that all of the "around $100" are fairly similar. In fact, I think I am going with an Anescra 200W slicer, if for no other reason that it comes with both the serrated and smooth blades.

Thanks for all the input!

Reactions: SmokyMose
I have a nesco FS-250 . 180 watt 8.7 " The nesco's are great slicers . I got mine re-branded as Cabela's . It was recommended by Pop's who came from a family of meat cutters . The OSTBA look like the nescos . I'm not sure if they are tied in with each other or not . The one you posted would be one down from the 8.7 in some features . Easy to clean .
View attachment 486766
Do you have any issues only having the serrated blade?

I don't. Mine works just fine . You can find the one like I have on sale at a good price . I think I paid $ 120.00 for mine , but have seen them for under $ 100.00 .

I use a 22 year old cheap 35 dollar slicer it does work but always checking the restaurant auctions for a hobart they've been going for 250-300 around here.

I don't. Mine works just fine . You can find the one like I have on sale at a good price . I think I paid $ 120.00 for mine , but have seen them for under $ 100.00 .
Thanks. I got some good feedback on a Cuisimax with two 8.75" blades, one serrated, one non-serrated. $100 as well, so not a massive waste, and Amazon takes anything back if it's that junky 😁

Reactions: chopsaw
In another thread, I mentioned that I just started wet curing a pork belly...first attempt :)

It appears that many are recommending a slicer, so I've started looking around. I see that several on the forum apparently use the Chef's Choice 615/615A, but does anyone have experience with this one?

Other suggestions are of course welcomed!

Thanks
-GG

No input for that slicer BUT I own a Chef's Choice 615. It works well AND is worth every penny for how easy it is to clean up. Every part except the main 1 piece can go into the dish washer.
Also there are not many real nooks or crannies to get gunk stuck in.

Since it works so well AND is a breeze to clean I can attest to how much of a no brainer it is to go with one. You can try the other one but when you start spending as much time cleaning as you do slicing you know you are in trouble haha :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky