Slicer and vacuum sealer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whistlepig

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Preble County, OH
Because I have been wanting to make my own Canadian bacon and jerky I have been looking at slicers and vacuum sealers. The Chef's Choice 615A looks pretty good but as far as vacuum sealers I haven't a clue. Would like to keep the vacuum sealer under $100.00 if I could. Suggestions on both would be welcome as I have experience with neither.

For slicing cheese is a serrated blade preferable over a smooth blade on a slicer?

I have a foodsaver 4840. It’s about $199 right now on Amazon. I did pay near that much but I’ve had it for 4 year. It’s been a work horse for years.

Reactions: whistlepig
The Chef's Choice 615A is a good option. Get both blades. For a vacuum sealer I'd recommend VacMaster but they are over your $100 price point.

Googling VacMaster is bringing up some very high priced stuff. Well over my $100.00 price point. Not sure what to look for if you could help.

Googling VacMaster is bringing up some very high priced stuff. Well over my $100.00 price point. Not sure what to look for if you could help.

I have had vacuum sealers that were under a hundred bucks and was very disappointed! I have the foodsaver 3425 and it works pretty good with the bags from ziplock....I been eyeing the lem 250 and you get it for 169 on the home Depot site

I have a Foodsaver 2440 ( discontinued model) which has sealed literally hundreds of pounds of deer,beef, pork, chicken, fish ,vegetables etc. Only have had to replace 1 set of gaskets. This unit is over 20 yrs old and still going. I think it was around $150 back then. Not sure your going to find anything of real quality for $100 these days. There is a couple used on ebay. Good choice on slicer !

I'm OK with spending more than $100.00 for a vacuum sealer. Had to start somewhere. The LEM 250 looks very nice. Tballard169 thank you.

honestly, I have bought several vacuum sealers under $100. They have all been a disappointment. I am still waiting to buy my higher-quality one.

I have had vacuum sealers that were under a hundred bucks and was very disappointed! I have the foodsaver 3425 and it works pretty good with the bags from ziplock....I been eyeing the lem 250 and you get it for 169 on the home Depot site
I have a ziplock vac sealer v150 model. I got it for well under $100 on sale. Going strong after many years and very impressed with quality of the heat seals.
Not a commercial unit. Just need to be patient and let the heat strip cool down after running 3-4 vac seal cycles.

A little late to the party, but FWIW ... I don’t do extended repeated sealings, only a small handful at a time ... So while I’d love a VacMaster, I got an LEM MaxVac 100 for $62 ... have only used it a few times so far, but working great (aside from needing to press pretty hard to latch it) ... time will tell how it holds up in the long run. Good luck with your 250, interested if your experience mirrors mine or not.

Don't know if still available or any good. Thanks to oldsarge

I have a cheaper model 4 year old Food Saver and an Oyster brand slicer from the 70's. They both still work flawlessly. However I don't work either of them that hard. If your going to put either item thru their paces then buy a more durable brand to start, but if your only using it occasionally then a cheaper model should suffice.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky