Slicer and vacuum sealer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've got a FoodSaver RT-FM2000 that I got on Woot 5 years ago for $39. I use it almost daily for small jobs, and monthly for bigger jobs (10+ bags). I like the fact that it is lightweight and easy to handle, and stores in a kitchen drawer so I can use it whenever I need it. If you plan on doing really big sealing jobs, then a heavier duty machine is recommended as it will recover faster.

For slicing cheese is a serrated blade preferable over a smooth blade on a slicer?

The serrated blade works fine for everything except slicing things paper thin. I used the non-serrated blade for years but switched last year to serrated to cut some loafs of bread. Since then I haven't needed to switch back, but will next time I need to slice up some charcuterie.

Reactions: whistlepig
That's a great price on the game saver . I paid $220 for mine 10 years ago . Works great .

Both the Chef’s Choice 615 and LEM Maxvac 250 were delivered this week. Both are nice looking units. I plan to try them out this weekend on a 7 pound eye of round using Bearcarver’s sammie recipe. Is best to put the eye of round in the freezer for awhile before slicing both before and after smoking?

Enjoy! For slicing meat I try to get a hard chill on it. Don't be surprised if you get a tail (small flap on the bottom of the roast) after a few slices; just flip the meat over for the next few slices. I also partially freeze juicy meat before sealing to avoid juices being sucked into the seal. Sometimes I use a rolled up paper towels between the meat and the seal area to absorb juices. LEM also sells absorbent pads for wet product:

Reactions: Fueling Around
The Chef's Choice 615 and LEM MaxVac 250 arrived this week. I sliced some eye of round (partially frozen) for jerky last night and although out of the box this slicer looked a little small and inadequate once I started using it I am very pleased with it. Pretty powerful slicer.

One I got the LEM MaxVac 250 set up I vacuumed packed about everything I could find. It's really quick and easy to use. Almost fun to use. After reading about vacuum sealing I really should have bought one a long time ago.

The CC 615 and 615a is pretty popular around here. Search for it and you will find a lot of hints and tips. As for vac sealing you can take advantage of bulk buys and save money.

Reactions: whistlepig
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky