Simple Salmon Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ajthepoolman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 1, 2006
Topeka
A successful salmon smoke.

I used Dutch's Maple Glaze and just threw in a chunk of cherry wood on my electric Brinkmann. Went on at 11pm and came off just after 1am. I mopped the glaze sauce on about every 45 minutes.

I didn't brine the fish and have never really considered doing that. I see others suggesting it though so next time I will try a brine.
e3792737_vbattach23602.jpg

c5541afc_vbattach23600.jpg

e5f0e48f_vbattach23601.jpg

fd827e25_vbattach23603.jpg

That looks like it came out great!
I have always brined and been happy with the results, but know it can get over salted if not careful.
I have not tried Dutch's maple glaze, but it is now on the list for the next salmon smoke!
I have not tried cherry either...hmm time to go shopping!
Thanks for sharing.
Godspeed,
bigslick

that looks good. Question, Do people usually brine their salmon? I haven't tried salmon yet but wondering if that would get to salty or still be a good piece of fish.
Either way I'd take a bit of that one!

now your in my wheelhouse. hot smoke no brine can be very good, but if your looking for a traditional slow smoked salmon a brine is a must. my grandfather would just use rock salt with the fish layed out on a table(usually 2- 4x8 sheets of plywood as he was a commercial fisherman) for a couple hours then spray down with a hose and smoke for as much as 16 hours for the big kings. any way you look at tho salmon is the bomb, eat it every day.

a basic brown sugar based cure mixture works great. Can get salty if brined too long however. Couple days seems to be plenty.

What kind of temps were you smoking at? Looks like you smoked for a little over 2 hours. Nice looking salmon.

Charlie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky