Simple Hot Dog from Saveloy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Titch

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 12, 2020
Melbourne Australia
This belong here?

20200517_175653-XL.jpg

20200517_182635-XL.jpg

20200517_182917-XL.jpg

20200517_183058-XL.jpg

Home made Saveloy,bread roll

Looks great, but how about some recipes? looks like you nailed both.
lets see if this is what you want

I must acknowledge the source of my first inspiration for home made Savs.
Mountain Mick ( deceased and Missed) from the Australian BBQ forum

A saveloy is a type of highly seasoned pork sausage, usually bright red in colour, which is served in English fish and chip shops
and a little history The saveloy was originally known as a frankfurter in Australia until World War I, when many German names of food and places were changed to more English sounding ones.
Meats
1000g Pork (30% fat) with what I use or we have made than with 650 g beef with 450g pork but you need (30% fat) over all
Ingredients per 1000g of meat
4 tsp salt.
½ tsp QuikCure.
2 tsp dextrose (glucose).
1½ tsp white pepper, ground
1 tsp coriander.powder
2 tsp mustard. powder
½ tsp ginger powder
Grind pork and beef through 3/16” plate (5 mm).
Mix all ingredients with meat. Let chill in cold-room until well chilled
Stuff into beef middles or fibrous casings about 60 mm diameter, form 30” links.
cook in hot water 65º C until cooked firm cool of before smoking
Introduce warm smoke increase smoke temperature until internal meat temperature of 140º F (60º C) is obtained.
you can use red casings if you like..
Please enjoy MM

We have changed this recipe to suit ourselves as you do.
Our recipe is.

3 klg of Pork mince
1 Klg very fine beef mince (sausage Mince)
1 tbl salt
Your Preserve/nitrate of choice and to suit meat amount.
2 tbs of dextrose
3 tbl of White Slap Ya Mama pepper seasoning.
2 tsp coriander powder
2 tbl of mustard powder
2 tsp of ginger powder.
I use medium pork casings,35/40 mm
and follow Micks recipe as above.
I smoke with Australian Banksia Pods

Banksia Serrata if you want to google, Old man Banksia

Thanks for the recipes Titch, much appreciated. They both sound interesting. I had to look up the White Slap ya Mama, thats the first I heard of it, and it sounds pretty good to me. I need to order some.

Reactions: Titch
Looks nice, Mitch and thank you for sharing!. I have about 15# of meat (pork and beef) in my freezer and was planning to make some larger diameter casing sausage this week. I guess I will divide it to try your simple hot dog recipe... I found White Slap Ya Mama pepper seasoning on Amazon and think this is it:

Reactions: Titch
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky