1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Simple deer steaks

Discussion in 'Wild Game' started by 73saint, Sep 13, 2018.

1. 73saint

73saint Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

been going through the freezer, cooking a lot of venison as the season is right around the corner. So, it’s out with the old, in with the new.

Made a couple of batches of sausage, and had about 1/2 of a backstrap and two deer sirloin steaks just sitting in the fridge last night. There wasn’t much around, but I cut the strap into steak sized portions, and marinated all the meat in worchestishire, salt, pepper & garlic powder. Let that sit for an hour or so and then wrapped the steaks in bacon.
    33ADDBBB-80EA-4709-8590-9A39DAC1A802.jpeg
    I didn’t even tenderize the meat. Just wanted to get them seared well on charcoal and cook the bacon as best as possible. Goal was rare to mid rare but I wasn’t even using a thermo. Too busy swatting mosquitos.
    E58FC425-30F7-482F-87E9-C0262E0B0471.jpeg A6A6EE95-230C-44D5-9973-B02BE0F3333E.jpeg
    They were all different sizes and thicknesses, which isn’t very conducive for even cooking, but I didn’t really care. Just did my best and rolled with it.
    C78AD304-8A1C-40D6-9941-AB629C8730EF.jpeg 08649932-7335-48EC-BDBF-AAED695F17AB.jpeg 7A887D51-F82C-43E6-AF2C-2825A5DF894E.jpeg
    Ok so maybe not restaurant quality, but anyone who thinks wild game, straight off the bone, right on the grill isn’t delicious....well they are just plain wrong!

The deer steaks were great, and the medium rare to rare ones, were as tender as beef. It’s just once you lose that pink, they really start to toughen up.

Can’t wait for tonight’s leftovers!

2. Bearcarver

Bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Nice Job, 73 !!:)
    All Looks Mighty Tasty!!
    Like.

Bear

73saint likes this.
  3. 73saint

Thank you, Bear!

4. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

73S, looks scrumptious!, I have a few backstraps wrapped in bacon on the grill right now . Yours looks great!

73saint likes this.
  5. 73saint

Smart minds think alike;-)

crazymoon likes this.
  6. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I have some in the freezer. Can't get them thawed in time for tonight

They look great

73saint likes this.
  7. motocrash

motocrash Master of the Pit

Those turned out good man.As you know,you have to be on point even when they're all the same thickness to cook'em med to med rare.

73saint likes this.
  8. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

They look delicious!
    Nicely done!
    Al

73saint likes this.
  9. Jeff Wright

Jeff Wright Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Very tasty looking. Archery opens here tomorrow!

73saint likes this.
  10. 73saint

I just got back from the ortho dr..., found out I have a torn bicep. My archery season may be over before it even starts.

11. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Dang man you didn't ring the dinner bell?? How come I would have shared with you. Looks great as said before anything cooked with bacon is good. :eek:

Warren

12. 73saint

Thanks Al!
    Thanks Warren! Next time I will ring it a little louder for you!

13. Jeff Wright

Jeff Wright Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

There is a lesson to learn there...never go to a doctor until season is over.

That sucks!

73saint likes this.
  14. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Could we get some of those Gulf shrimp to go with it???

Warren

15. 73saint

That is so true. Kicking myself now. What’s worse is I feel fine and I just put about 6 arrows in the bullseye at 40yrds. I can climb a tree, draw my bow. May be a little weaker and my bicep is ugly but what’s the big deal right???

16. 73saint

Haha! Heck yeah man I love them there gulf shrimp! You got it!!

17. Bearcarver

Bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Could be the BP marinade?

Bear

chopsaw likes this.
  18. 73saint

Oh now Bear, that’s just wrong! Lol

19. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

Those steaks look mighty good. Nice Job.

Point for sure.

Chris

20. chilerelleno

chilerelleno Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Very nice venison steaks, nice cook 73S.
    Med rare for me please.
    Like!

I've one more vacbag of steaks and a few stew meats left from last season, gonna have to knock a few more tails into the mud this year.