Simple deer steaks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
been going through the freezer, cooking a lot of venison as the season is right around the corner. So, it’s out with the old, in with the new.

Made a couple of batches of sausage, and had about 1/2 of a backstrap and two deer sirloin steaks just sitting in the fridge last night. There wasn’t much around, but I cut the strap into steak sized portions, and marinated all the meat in worchestishire, salt, pepper & garlic powder. Let that sit for an hour or so and then wrapped the steaks in bacon.
33ADDBBB-80EA-4709-8590-9A39DAC1A802.jpeg
I didn’t even tenderize the meat. Just wanted to get them seared well on charcoal and cook the bacon as best as possible. Goal was rare to mid rare but I wasn’t even using a thermo. Too busy swatting mosquitos.
E58FC425-30F7-482F-87E9-C0262E0B0471.jpeg A6A6EE95-230C-44D5-9973-B02BE0F3333E.jpeg
They were all different sizes and thicknesses, which isn’t very conducive for even cooking, but I didn’t really care. Just did my best and rolled with it.
C78AD304-8A1C-40D6-9941-AB629C8730EF.jpeg 08649932-7335-48EC-BDBF-AAED695F17AB.jpeg 7A887D51-F82C-43E6-AF2C-2825A5DF894E.jpeg
Ok so maybe not restaurant quality, but anyone who thinks wild game, straight off the bone, right on the grill isn’t delicious....well they are just plain wrong!

The deer steaks were great, and the medium rare to rare ones, were as tender as beef. It’s just once you lose that pink, they really start to toughen up.

Can’t wait for tonight’s leftovers!

I have some in the freezer. Can't get them thawed in time for tonight

They look great

Reactions: 73saint
Those turned out good man.As you know,you have to be on point even when they're all the same thickness to cook'em med to med rare.

Reactions: 73saint
Dang man you didn't ring the dinner bell?? How come I would have shared with you. Looks great as said before anything cooked with bacon is good. :eek:

Warren

There is a lesson to learn there...never go to a doctor until season is over.

That sucks!
That is so true. Kicking myself now. What’s worse is I feel fine and I just put about 6 arrows in the bullseye at 40yrds. I can climb a tree, draw my bow. May be a little weaker and my bicep is ugly but what’s the big deal right???

Those steaks look mighty good. Nice Job.

Point for sure.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky