Silver Lake BBQ Cook-off

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnd49455

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 4, 2007
Shelby,MI
Hey,

I know I haven't been on the forum much this summer but still would like to see everyone possible at the Silver lake Comp.

I will be at the cook off site as much as possible (when I am not working @ Sands Restaurant).

Last I knew the Smokin' Scotsman were planning to compete. Anyone else competing, or just going to be there
icon_question.gif

Oops I posted this in the events by mistake so here it is here & for more info go to http://www.thinkdunes.com/bbq-cook-off-73/

I can't make it. (boy number 3 is almost here) But I have been told it is a beautiful place. Many from the Great Lakes BBQ Association (www.glbbqa.com) will be there.

I'm going to be over that way this weekend. If'in I git ma chores dun I might swing by in the afternoon. Got beer?
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

I don't even know what hours I will be working those days. Jeff the owner of Sands Restaurant is one of the organizers of the Cook-off.

I was terminated from my former job managing a propane supplier in the area & Jeff "made room" for me to work @ Sands & I have been putting in around 40 hrs a week. That will change as the tourists go home but that weekend he may need me.

I made mention to the wife about a party but it is hard to make plans when you don't know your hours for the week until the Sunday before.

If everything works out it will be a spur of the moment thing that we bring together at the Cook-off with the SMF members we meet.

With my income reduced to 1/3 what I was making I can't supply the drinks so if we do get something together it will BYOB. I will however warm up the indoor pool & jacuzzi tub.

Hope to see many of you all there
PDT_Armataz_01_40.gif

I was joking about the beer. I never expect anyone to supply that. I also usually don't drink during the day and especially when I'll have an hour drive back to camp after. I'd be satisfied just meeting some SMF folks. If it works out I'll show up.

http://www.thinkdunes.com/bbq-cook-off-73/

Jeff had the world record for a short time with the largest porkburger in the world.

It was reveled to me last night at work that he is planning on retaking the record with a porkburger over 100#.

So the KCBS comp isn't the only comp going on here in Oceana County.

I will look you up
icon_exclaim.gif

Good luck with the new team
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Do you know if the Smokin Scotsman will be there
icon_question.gif

I haven't seen them on here. Probably cause I haven't been on much
icon_rolleyes.gif

Didn't make it over to the event Saturday. Chores around camp took longer than I thought and ended up with a couple I wasn't planning on.

Anybody got any news?

Alrighty then. Glad I didn't make the trip over. Wouldn't be the first time I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
eek.gif

The Smokin' Scotsmen will be there. Hoping for some nice weather, seeing some old friends and meeting some new ones.
wink.gif

Not sure if it is a good thing or not
icon_confused.gif

Jeff entered me in the backyard comp with his recipe, his smoker, & his meat. I am working for him at his restaurant since loosing my job & am making 1/3 what I was so I was unable to come up with the $50 entry fee to enter my stuff this year. So what is your opinion
confused.gif
Is it a good thing that at least I'll be smoking or a bad thing that it ain't my stuff
confused.gif

I may be heading out there from the Ann Arbor area Friday evening to Saturday mid-day. Just to check things out being I've never been to an actual competition before. Guess I'll be looking for the Smokin' Scotsmen, Rubbed Smoked & Sauced, and anyone from the GLBBQA (been thinking about joinin').
Any advice?

Stop in and say hello anytime except between 11 and 1 on Saturday. You may get run over during turn in times....
icon_rolleyes.gif

Theres always a beer for visitors!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky