Shrimp and Grits...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
...AGAIN! It's been awhile since I've made it and with some family in town from Pennsylvania, I figured this would be a good time. I posted the recipe I use before so I won't repeat too much of it,
just a couple of pics.

Here's some of the lineup...
20230424_124456[1].jpg

The creamy grits...
20230424_172129[1].jpg

The shrimp, sausage, and ham gravy...
20230424_180943[1].jpg

Made corn fritters also. This batch is for the kids and has only cheese in it. The second batch had diced onions and jalapenos in it...
20230424_173908[1].jpg

Time to eat...
20230424_182623[1].jpg

The recipe calls for using chicken broth in the gravy, but this time I used my homemade shrimp stock that I made back in December.
What a BIG difference in flavor and it was a hit with the crowd. For the grits, I used the homemade chicken broth that my friend gives me. Because the broth is seasoned, I did not add any seasoning to the grits. The ham and sausage are salty enough so no salt added to the gravy, only pepper. If someone decides to make this, I strongly suggest tasting everything before adding salt as this dish can get too salty...

Holy cow Charles!! All of that looks and sounds amazing buddy. That is true down-home southern cooking right there. I guess if you're gonna turn folks from PA on to a southern staple, it won't get any better than this my friend. Excellent job buddy, just excellent.

Robert

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
This is sacrilege I know, but I have never had grits. I don't know how that is possible. The gravy, corn fritters, and grits look excellent and I would love to try the grits and eat that meal!

Looks amazing! Are those grits from Steve at Gantt's? We've been there a couple times since you last posted your recipe. Steve and his wife are both great people.

Holy cow Charles!! All of that looks and sounds amazing buddy. That is true down-home southern cooking right there. I guess if you're gonna turn folks from PA on to a southern staple, it won't get any better than this my friend. Excellent job buddy, just excellent.

Robert
Thank you, buddy!

Oh WOW! A killer meal right there. I think I could take that pot of goodness and it all by myself!!!

Jim
I appreciate that, Jim! You'd be more than welcome to all you could eat and we always have to-go boxes...really, we do...

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
This is sacrilege I know, but I have never had grits. I don't know how that is possible. The gravy, corn fritters, and grits look excellent and I would love to try the grits and eat that meal!
Kimberly, you have to give them a try. Get yourself some stone ground grits, not quick grits or instant grits, and cook them with a broth. You can't overcook them as long as you stir them frequently and keep adding liquid as necessary...

Looks amazing! Are those grits from Steve at Gantt's? We've been there a couple times since you last posted your recipe. Steve and his wife are both great people.
Yes, these are from Gantt's. It's an amazing place in the middle of nowhere and they just very nice country folks...

we always have to-go boxes...really, we do...
Yep! I bought a bunch at Sams and keep them on hand. Lesa got tired of our tupperware disappearing when the kids would come over to eat. They are great to have on hand for taking lunch to work too ( I may or may not have thrown away some of the tupperware).
Jim

G'golly does that all sound and look great!
A righteously done Southern Classic.
I appreciate that, Chili!! The dish originated here in SC and there was a time when it was considered po-folks food that the Geechies ate for breakfast. Then Bill Neal came along and the rest is history...:emoji_wink:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky