Shredded Beef - chuck roast low/slow on Santa Maria grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

edmonds

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 6, 2020
Huntsville, AL
3.5 lb chuck roast (Dexter), dry brined overnight, then dusted with Peppered Cow rub before cooking.
Cooked at 250F on Santa Maria grill over lump charcoal with some hickory splits off to the sides.
Roast was turned every 30 min, and covered with a dome lid to trap smoke and provide some convective cooking.
After 4 hours IT was 170 and bark looked good, so wrapped with pink butcher paper.
Cooked on grill for another hour, then moved to oven at 275F for final 2 hours.
Probe tender at IT = 202F, removed from oven for 30 min, then back into oven to hold at 170F for 1+ hours.
Cooled slightly before shredding, then mixed with sauce made from drippings.
Mighty fine, with a nice smoky beef flavor.

P1040530.jpeg

P1040532.jpeg

P1040543.jpeg

P1040546.jpeg

P1040547.jpeg

P1040552.jpeg

P1040552 (1).jpeg

Thanks for looking.

That is a thing Of beauty!!!!!!!!

Very nice cook, I’m eating with my eyes

Nicely done Steve. That's a plate of happiness right there.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: negolien
Looks great. I like that cover you used. Did you make that yourself? I just put in an order for a santa maria, its gonna be about a 6 weeks before i get it , cant wait.
The lid was from Sunterra. A kettle lid will also work, although it's a little taller.

I'm sure you will enjoy the grill. I usually cook the entire meal on mine, a couple of time per week (brrr, maybe not this week). I've even used the grill to make fire roasted pasta sauce and meatballs, and see my post further down the page about making fire roasted beef broth/stock. A very versatile grill, but you may need more wood.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky