Shoutout to a great member

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Central PA Cowboy

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2017
Central PA
Just want to give a shoutout to chopsaw chopsaw for his Detroit style pizza thread. Ever since that thread, I’m pretty sure we haven’t ordered pizza again (we ordered a pizza once a week). My wife and I really love pizza and your directions gave me a good idea of where to start with this style. Now, we don’t even think of ordering pizza. Thank you again!

Come on Derek, no pict, no happens. Ive had Detroit style pizza, very similar to Chicago style with a diff cheese, very good

Nice. Have you tried one with the proper brick cheese yet?
I'll be that guy I guess, what in the heck does the shape of the cheese matter? Use the best quality whole milk Mozzarella you can buy and everything is groovy. Just as long as it is not fresh mozza. Although that would make a great pie it wouldn't be authentic or have the same flavor or cheese stretch.

I'll be that guy I guess, what in the heck does the shape of the cheese matter? Use the best quality whole milk Mozzarella you can buy and everything is groovy. Just as long as it is not fresh mozza. Although that would make a great pie it wouldn't be authentic or have the same flavor or cheese stretch.
Brick cheese is a type of cheese, aka provel cheese.

Here is a pic from a more recent one with just pepperoni as the topping. The one I did this past Monday was pepperoni and sausage. Fantastic!

1614776244332.jpeg

Brick cheese is a type of cheese, aka provel cheese.
Brick is a warm fermented white cheddar from Wisconsin, Provel is St. Louis' proprietary processed blend of cheeses (lol)

One of my favorite weird ones to make, that I think works excellent on a detroit style in particular, is dressing one like Cuban sandwich. Layer of mustard, swiss, more mustard, then the ham+pulledpork+pickles. Ideally, finish with a few dollops of mojo instead of red sauce. It will funk up your kitchen but man is it good.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification Ham
Don't mention it; You know how passionate I am about processed cheese, lol.

The warmer temps used in brick cheese gives it a high fat content, much greater meltability, and a rich buttery taste with a little funk. Aged turns it really funky like limburger. I think they press moisture out of it, too (hence the name brick).

A grocery chain here sells prepackaged slices of it cheaper than blocks/bulk, and its nearly impossible to peel each slice apart if it warms up at all. Have to do it all at once right out of the fridge, and put it back.

CPAC I totally agree that Chop is a highly valued member, and your pizza looks great, but pizza once a week WOW thats allot. We like pizza here also, but it's more like once every other month or so. I'd look like Haystack Calhoun if I ate it weekly.

Chris

Haystack Calhoun:
1614811573806.png

• Haha
Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
CPAC I totally agree that Chop is a highly valued member, and your pizza looks great, but pizza once a week WOW thats allot. We like pizza here also, but it's more like once every other month or so. I'd look like Haystack Calhoun if I ate it weekly.

Chris

Haystack Calhoun:
View attachment 487723

Lol Chris. Thanks for your comments. The only reason I’m able to eat like that is I work out daily and chase after a one year old. When I wasn’t active, I was a bowling ball lol.

• Haha
Reactions: gmc2003
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky