Shopping For An Electric Smoker- Have a Few Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

derrickhand300

Original poster
Mar 2, 2014
Hello Folks
I am shopping/researching electric smokers trying to find the best value for my dollar. I have my selection narrowed down to a couple brands/models

*Smokin Tex 1400
*CookShack Amerique

The Smokin Tex I am finding for around $550
The CookShack Amerique at around $1800

I have been reading literature and reviews for 3 days trying to justify the Amerique costs.

Here is my situation-

The Smokin Tex 1400 seems like its quality construction and built to last and does ALMOST everything I need

The Amerique has the meat thermometer that can actually be programmed to hold the meat at a desired temp when its done. I like this feature A LOT because I can be gone fishing from our camp site and return to have the meat cooked perfectly with no need to be there and keep an eye on a manual thermometer

Still $1200 in increased costs over the Smokin Tex seems a steep price to pay for this-My biggest question is are there other models/brands of this quality that offer the digital probe that can be programmed like this?

I like the double wall insulated stainless steel construction of both units and want to stay with this sort of quality

Also I have an additional question with these electric units-

has anyone tried converting the 750 watt elements by replacing them with a 1500 watt element? It seems the money REALLY goes up for a 1500 Watt unit and I am thinking someday if a 750 burns out I could search for a generic 1500 watt to replace it with that would fit the available space.

Thanks for any help you can share!

Curtis

[h3]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.  WOW pretty neat
[/h3][h1]Gary[/h1]

Thank you Martin!
I think the model 3 would work for me with the additional PID Smoker controller- how do you feel about the quality of the insulation in your unit ? Is it sufficient? My other option would be to order the PID controller and different brand box

@derrickhand300,
They are a great high quality build with plenty of insulation.
I have both the #1 and the #4.
I also use PIDs.
You can get 5% off the smoker by ordering it through their Facebook social store.

~Martin

Thanks again Martin
I just went to their site and tried to order the. #3 with PID and a couple racks- when I went to check out with PayPal they wanted $333 shipping to Oklahoma- which was a deal killer for me- I did message them concerning the shipping charge and waiting to hear back

Yeah I will give him a call tomorrow also
I just noticed Digging Dog Farms on your signature - what dogs do you have? (We have a couple Patterdale pups here)

Thanks again Martin
I just went to their site and tried to order the. #3 with PID and a couple racks- when I went to check out with PayPal they wanted $333 shipping to Oklahoma- which was a deal killer for me- I did message them concerning the shipping charge and waiting to hear back
What part of Oklahoma?  I'm in NE OK, little east of Tulsa.

$333 for shipping seems awfully steep...hope you get it worked out.  I hear good things about those Smokin-It rigs.

Red

Thanks Red
I actually grew up in your neck of the woods (Oologah) I live in far western Ok now- small town of Erick

Far western is right...just a few steps and your in Texas!  Isn't Erick where Roger Miller was from?

I've got some family who live in Oologah.

Red

Yes hometown of Roger Miller and Sheb Wooley- 7 miles from Texas! Been here since 1979- I also have a brother and sister in Owasso

Yes hometown of Roger Miller and Sheb Wooley- 7 miles from Texas! Been here since 1979- I also have a brother and sister in Owasso
I thought I knew that about Roger Miller...didn't know about Sheb Wooley though.

One of our sons and his wife live in Owasso.  They just bought a house over there last fall.

Red

Reactions: derrickhand300
Well I finally made a decision- I purchased the Cook Shack Amerique. I called the factory and asked about deals on returns/reconditioned units and found they had a return that had been gone through and reconditioned ( cooked in once and will need to be re-seasoned) Still has all the original warranty and equipment shipped with it. I was able to get this for $1200+tax ( we are both in Oklahoma) and shipping. I also ordered the outdoor cover. Still its a little pricey but feel better I saved $600 by purchasing a unit used once.

I will come back and make a review after I cook with it for a few weeks.-I thank all of you for your help in making the decision.

Well I finally made a decision- I purchased the Cook Shack Amerique. I called the factory and asked about deals on returns/reconditioned units and found they had a return that had been gone through and reconditioned ( cooked in once and will need to be re-seasoned) Still has all the original warranty and equipment shipped with it. I was able to get this for $1200+tax ( we are both in Oklahoma) and shipping. I also ordered the outdoor cover. Still its a little pricey but feel better I saved $600 by purchasing a unit used once.

I will come back and make a review after I cook with it for a few weeks.-I thank all of you for your help in making the decision.
Congrats on the new (to you) CookShack, Derrick!  Those look like real nice rigs, and built right here in Oklahoma too!  I'll be very interested in hearing your review.

Red

Reactions: derrickhand300
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky