Shocker With my Mini

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
I had a very strange experience with my Mini this past weekend.

Smoked some chicken wings in 3 degree weather and couldn't get more than two hours out of my full basket of Kingsford using the Minion method.

I'm gussing that the gale force winds that were blowing were the culprit!

John

Last edited:
Wind can be a factor for sure. I have smoked in sustained 40-50mph winds but haven't ever had the basket not last that long. I only had one of the 3/4" side valve vents partially open though. I have burnt through a whole basket of plump in 2 1/2-3 hours before doing a high temp smoke and starting with a fully lit chimney.

I try to keep my mini out of the wind.

2 hours is fast.

Wind can be a factor for sure. I have smoked in sustained 40-50mph winds but haven't ever had the basket not last that long. I only had one of the 3/4" side valve vents partially open though. I have burnt through a whole basket of plump in 2 1/2-3 hours before doing a high temp smoke and starting with a fully lit chimney.
That is why I am baffled!

Next time I will use a windbreak...I was at a friend's house so I really didn't have all my accoutrements with me...LOL!

John

Yeah John,

If there is ONE issue with the mini is that it appears it does not take the wind too well.  Less mass = less heat retention is my guess.   However... Whats a few extra briquets under seriously adverse condition in exchange for the other awesome attributes and portability of the MWSM? More than a fair trade if you ask me!

Congratulations  on that new banner next to your name my friend!  Looks great!

B

Yeah John,

If there is ONE issue with the mini is that it appears it does not take the wind too well.  Less mass = less heat retention is my guess.   However... Whats a few extra briquets under seriously adverse condition in exchange for the other awesome attributes and portability of the MWSM? More than a fair trade if you ask me!

Congratulations  on that new banner next to your name my friend!  Looks great!

B
Thanks Brian...A true gentleman indeed!!!

John, I use Kingsford for my Dutch oven cooking as well as using them in my Mini. Yeah-if you don't have a wind break (even with the D.O's) that wind will make you go through the charcoal.

Hey c farmer-what is your wind break made from? Got to build me a new one. My son stole my plywood wind screen for a building project. He said he was too cheap to spend the bucks needed to buy a half sheet of 3/4 ply. Dang kid anyhoo! :biggrin:

Last edited:
John, I use Kingsford for my Dutch oven cooking as well as using them in my Mini. Yeah-if you don't have a wind break (even with the D.O's) that wind will make you go through the charcoal.
Thanks Dutch,

Discovered that the day I tried to do the wings in 3 degree weather and a brisk wind to boot...God I hate Winter!!!

I was at a friend's house and didn't have my windbreak with me or things would have been a bit different.

Actually I thought that the wings would have been done by the time the coals started to burn out...No big deal though, I just finished them in the oven.

Thanks,  John

My screen/break was a 4X4 sheet of 3/4" exterior grade ply. It was cut into 2-2X4 pieces and joined back together with a 48 in piano hinge-it would fold flat for easy storage. I build it way back when I had my ECB. I use a smaller break that is 4- 12 in. X 12 in sections joined with 12 in piano hinges so that it will bend around the contour of the d.o.'s-the hinges are off set so that the screen will fold down to 3 inches thick.

Hey c farmer-what is your wind break made from? Got to build me a new one. My son stole my plywood wind screen for a building project. He said he was too cheap to spend the bucks needed to buy a half sheet of 3/4 ply. Dang kid anyhoo!
biggrin.gif
http://www.lowes.com/pd_13357-56291...tix&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=reflectix&facetInfo=

Work's great.

Last edited:
It will actually melt the snow on the inside of the insulation in a perfect circle.  So it works at keeping heat in.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky