Shishito peppers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
While out shopping I found these little guys.

P8142876.JPG

Never heard of them. But it got me curious as to how they'll taste pickled.
Cute little things! I tried one. Nice flavor. Little heat. The bag did say that one in ten will have heat. We'll see.

P8142877.JPG

Standard brine 3:1 white vinegar and water. Dried minced onion, dill, and dill seeds. Alum.

Packed and vac sealed. These peppers did something I haven't seen before. After filling to 1/2" and vacuum sealed. I had to break the seal. And add more brine because the level went down almost 2" Little things must have drew a lot of the brine right in. And there was a lot of bubbles while sealing the jar.

P8142878.JPG

After topping off again. I'll see how they are in a few days.

I never heard of them either, will be watching to see how they turn out, they do look good already though.

Used to get them back in SoCal.
Very mild and sweet, like Bell Peppers.
They are a vegetable appetizer or side dish.
l like them grilled or sauteed, some salt and maybe some Shichimi Togarashi for some real spicy heat.

Yeah, one in ten or twenty might have half the kick of a mild jalapeno.

Never had them pickled, they aught to be very tasty.
Watching.

Last edited:
Used to get them back in SoCal.
Very mild and sweet, like Bell Peppers.
They are a vegetable appetizer or side dish.
l like them grilled or sauteed, some salt and maybe some Shichimi Togarashi for some real spicy heat.

Yeah, one in ten or twenty might have half the kick of a mild jalapeno.

Never had them pickled, they aught to be very tasty.
Watching.

Thanks, I didn't think they would be too spicy. I'll let you all know the results.
Gotta love how well the vacuum sealing works.

Oh yeah!

Tried one last night. The crunch and texture are very much like pepperoncini. The flavor is a cross between a green pepper and a mild Jalapeno. I'm hoping there is more at the store.

While out shopping I found these little guys.

View attachment 403076

Never heard of them. But it got me curious as to how they'll taste pickled.
Cute little things! I tried one. Nice flavor. Little heat. The bag did say that one in ten will have heat. We'll see.

View attachment 403077

Standard brine 3:1 white vinegar and water. Dried minced onion, dill, and dill seeds. Alum.

Packed and vac sealed. These peppers did something I haven't seen before. After filling to 1/2" and vacuum sealed. I had to break the seal. And add more brine because the level went down almost 2" Little things must have drew a lot of the brine right in. And there was a lot of bubbles while sealing the jar.

View attachment 403078

After topping off again. I'll see how they are in a few days.

How long did you process them to seal them?

does the vacuum sealer speed up the pickling process? I pickled some habaneros the traditional way by pouring the boiled liquid over them and I have read I need to leave them in the fridge for a month.

does the vacuum sealer speed up the pickling process? I pickled some habaneros the traditional way by pouring the boiled liquid over them and I have read I need to leave them in the fridge for a month.

Yes it does substantially. Where it'll take a month for pickles to get done normally. It will only take 3 to 5 days under vacuum.

Reactions: clifish
Don't think I have seen them pickled, sounds good! I think most times they are served lightly charred and salted.

I believe so. The back of the bag had a recipe that called for just that. Though, I'm a sucker to try pickling different veggies. And these fell under my gaze.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bbqschmak
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky