Shhh, pizza dough is resting

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

OldSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 5, 2020
Oregon
When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore

When the world seems to shine like you've had too much wine
That's amore

D39DD8EA-5FD6-4546-ADC5-B46C26C2D4DE.jpeg

Shhh! The dough is resting. Not a damned thing to do with smoking, blame it on Count Porcula Count Porcula and his pizza recipe! Yea, I’m listening to Italian cooking music and drinking Chianti Classico Reserva. If it wasn’t for COVID, we’d be in Italy. So, we will do our best. It’s not so bad. We are on the patio and not buried under a snow bank. And I’m hungry!

I hope your singing voice is better than mine lol! But bring on the pie!

Ryan

Probably still enough time for us to make it over to share before that pie hits the table.😁 What toppings are going on it. I see what looks like maybe pepperoni and salami. Any veggies? I like the mushrooms and olives on mine.

Tom

We used a pizza stone cleaved from the loins of Mt Vesuvius (really) with parchment paper. It came out good, but next time, I will roll the dough a bit thinner and bake a bit longer at 450. It needed more time, but at 550 it would have burned. Absolutely worth another try! Thank you so much for sharing your recipe Count Porcula Count Porcula ! It made for a perfect evening.

5FE74AF4-19C5-46EB-9F81-5F9617B4CBC1.jpeg

I love home rolled pizza crust.
So .. you were stoned on what?
Rephrase, the stone is on what?

I hope you're singing along with the original Deano LP and not the awful Cher movie with the fake Italian accents.

Nice looking pie, but I have to ask.

You stayed home from Italy because of covid?

That's crazy, I have friends and family that has been back and forth several times with no problems whatsoever. I'd have zero problems flying there tomorrow if the funds were there for me.

You could catch covid just as easy grocery shopping at your local grocery store, as you could over there.

Wish I could make a pizza dough that was worth a flip.
There's a ton of them to be had out there, I've probably tried 20 different recipes. I've pretty much settled on this one, it's easy and it works. I started following the advice of chopsaw chopsaw Rich and letting the dough ferment in the fridge 4-5 days before baking my pizza, make a nice difference! RAY

DSCN2424.JPG

letting the dough ferment in the fridge 4-5 days
Mixed dough up Friday . Have it in the fridge now so it's ready next week . I'm getting back to making a batch on Sunday for the following week . If I don't use it for pizza , it's bread or rolls .

Reactions: sawhorseray
We used a pizza stone cleaved from the loins of Mt Vesuvius (really) with parchment paper.
That's a fantastic looking pizza !
I do the same with the parchment . I slide it out after the crust sets .
You can also try docking the dough with a fork so it doesn't rise as much when cooking .
From the looks of the picture I wouldn't change anything .

Shhh! The dough is resting. Not a damned thing to do with smoking, blame it on Count Porcula Count Porcula and his pizza recipe! Yea, I’m listening to Italian cooking music and drinking Chianti Classico Reserva. If it wasn’t for COVID, we’d be in Italy. So, we will do our best. It’s not so bad. We are on the patio and not buried under a snow bank. And I’m hungry!

I'm really glad it worked out for you.

The same dough is good for thin pizza, although I would add a very small amount of olive oil to make it easier to toss without ripping, and I would use very little yeast and let the pie rise for at least a few hours. It's also important to make a nice tight dough ball to promote oven spring. This dough is not for high-temperature thin pies, but it's very good for NY-style pizza at 550 degrees.

I bake on a hot steel at 550, and instead of using corn meal or semolina to make a thin pie slide off the peel, I assemble the pie on nonstick foil, slide the whole thing onto the steel, and pull the foil out after two minutes, leaving the crust directly on the metal. Also works with a hot stone.

I'll post a photo of a recent pie with a fat rim that shows the oven spring.

03 10 22 NYC pizza steel no oil full view small.jpg

You stayed home from Italy because of covid?
Months ago, when we made the decision, things were getting to be very dire there. We would not have been able to enter The Netherlands which is a big part of the trip. Things are better now, but who knew?

Instead, I get to stay home and have a prostate operation next week. So, not all bad.

Next year! The Netherlands (daughter), north, east (champagne) and western France, and northern Italy (Nebbiolo). Then back to The Nertherlands.

• Haha
Reactions: forktender
OK, that makes sense, good luck with your surgery, that doesn't sound like much fun at all.

Best of luck.
Dan

Phenomenal pie! Wow, but I have to say I love pizza so much I’m an easy date🤣 good luck with surgery, we’re with you!

Thanks guys, sorry that slipped in there, I was having a moment.

Back to burning things up!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky