Sheep casings?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
I’ve been wanting to try Kabanosy for a while now and it seems most use sheep casings. I’ve heard they’re a bit of a PITA, but I guess I’m due for some aggravation..
Can anyone recommend a source?

I get mine from a good source. I use butcher packer or sausage maker. Be sure to soak for a few days. They are not that bad to use.

T
I get mine from a good source. I use butcher packer or sausage maker. Be sure to soak for a few days. They are not that bad to use.
Thanks, farmer!
I’ve been getting my pork casings from Syracuse, but other than that Sausage Maker is my “one stop shop”.

SM, My last batch was from TSM , I only had one small piece that was perforated and unfit to use. Syracuse casings are better quality BUT I do not like the pre tubed jobbies as they seem to stick on my horn as I don't get enough lubrication. Casings that I use ( other then pretubed ) are flushed internally with water prior to putting on the stuffing horn which leaves them well lubricated. I can't do this w/pretubed and have casing sticking problems.

I use the syracuse pretubed and love them. Each tube holds about 7lbs which is perfect for my stuffer..
Kab.jpg

SM, My last batch was from TSM , I only had one small piece that was perforated and unfit to use. Syracuse casings are better quality BUT I do not like the pre tubed jobbies as they seem to stick on my horn as I don't get enough lubrication. Casings that I use ( other then pretubed ) are flushed internally with water prior to putting on the stuffing horn which leaves them well lubricated. I can't do this w/pretubed and have casing sticking problems.
CM, I don’t use the pre tubed like they are “supposed” to be used. I slide them from the tube onto the horn. I’ve had sticking issues, too, but I’ll take that over untangling wads of casings! I also like the quality of the Syracuse product...
I’m going to try some sheep from TSM just to see what it’s like. Syracuse wants $41 (ack!) to TSMs $12.99. I need more 16mm collagen anyway and I’ve been meaning to get some ECA to try as well.

CM, I don’t use the pre tubed like they are “supposed” to be used. I slide them from the tube onto the horn. I’ve had sticking issues, too, but I’ll take that over untangling wads of casings! I also like the quality of the Syracuse product...
I’m going to try some sheep from TSM just to see what it’s like. Syracuse wants $41 (ack!) to TSMs $12.99. I need more 16mm collagen anyway and I’ve been meaning to get some ECA to try as well.

fairness in conversation... Syracuse's sheep casing that are $41 are a 18-20MM pack and should be quality pieces with a total footage of 300', the $12.99 from sausage maker is a home pack (questionable quality) of 20-26mm (wide range) of shorts (pain in the butt at times in my opinion) and is only supposed to hold about 15# of meat which would equate to roughly 60-75' of casing. If all you want to do is a few small batches on a rare occasion, and dont mind the odd lengths you end up with by using shorts, and the inconsistent diameter, then the TSM home pack is maybe right for you, but the best bang for the buck would come from the Syracuse deal that includes shipping at the price. I have never used either source, but when I get around to trying sheep casings I think the Syracuse offering looks like the way I will be heading.

fairness in conversation... Syracuse's sheep casing that are $41 are a 18-20MM pack and should be quality pieces with a total footage of 300', the $12.99 from sausage maker is a home pack (questionable quality) of 20-26mm (wide range) of shorts (pain in the butt at times in my opinion) and is only supposed to hold about 15# of meat which would equate to roughly 60-75' of casing. If all you want to do is a few small batches on a rare occasion, and dont mind the odd lengths you end up with by using shorts, and the inconsistent diameter, then the TSM home pack is maybe right for you, but the best bang for the buck would come from the Syracuse deal that includes shipping at the price. I have never used either source, but when I get around to trying sheep casings I think the Syracuse offering looks like the way I will be heading.
Yeah, I'll probably pop for the Syracuse when I'm ready. I hate those "Home Packs". For now I'll stick with collagen for smaller casings....

I've used Syracuse Casings for years for both sheep and hog casings. And it helped that before retiring they were a a half hour from the farm and that in a pinch I could just pick them up (they don't usually do walk-in sales).

Full disclosure....They occasionally "comped" a friend and I free casings for demos at sportsman's shows, game dressing and preparation seminars etc. But that was years after I started using them anyway....

Their sheep casing are all sourced from New Zealand and their hog casings are all from the USA. None of the mystery sources sometimes seen from others. I've seen casings sourced from "international sources" sent to China for processing and brought to the US for sale ect . You may want to ask a pointed question about where a suppliers sheep and hog casings are coming from.

Syracuse Casings pre-tubed casing are not meant to have the tube left on the stuffing horn. You're supposed to hold the casings and pull the tube out from under the casings before stuffing. And running water through them just before placing them on the stuffing horn helps although for sheep casing we sometimes dribbled a little water on the casings that are bunched on the stuffing horn as we go.

I've read and seen all kinds of methods for preparing and storing sheep and hog casings and must admit to being very unconvinced...no, totally unconvinced about most of them. Syracuse Casings recommends a thorough rinse to remove the packing salt, a ten minute lukewarm water soak and stuff away. Having stuffed over 100# at a time on more than a few occasions I've never experienced any or the issues as reported by others. Maybe folks who have to do all that need to try a different source for casings....

Leftover casings that were prepared for use need only be blotted dry, liberally salted and put in the the fridge. Syracuse states that they have a six month storage life but 1 to 1-1/2 years has been the norm for me when I have a size I don't use often. Common sizes don't last that long anyway...

As a side note, I've been on their production floor a few times and the plant is spotless and very fresh smelling. It is easily the cleanest, freshest smelling production plant or processing plant I've ever been in. Given how nasty some processing plants and live animal butcher shops have been I like knowing where and from whom my casings are coming from.

Syracuse Casings pre-tubed casing are not meant to have the tube left on the stuffing horn. You're supposed to hold the casings and pull the tube out from under the casings before stuffing. And running water through them just before placing them on the stuffing horn helps although for sheep casing we sometimes dribbled a little water on the casings that are bunched on the stuffing horn as we go.
L, I too like the quality of their casings but running water thru them while the plastic tube is still attached prevents that nice water lube that I like. I have started pulling out the tube and cutting 1/4 to 1/3 off and flushing that piece internally before adding to the stuffing horn. This seems to give me adequate lubrication between the casing and the horn as I stuff.

L, I too like the quality of their casings but running water thru them while the plastic tube is still attached prevents that nice water lube that I like. I have started pulling out the tube and cutting 1/4 to 1/3 off and flushing that piece internally before adding to the stuffing horn. This seems to give me adequate lubrication between the casing and the horn as I stuff.

have you ever tried lubing the horn with some cooking spray or a little oil before slipping the tubed casings over it?

I more than likely would end up messing around like you do, nothing really makes a chore out of sausage making like having the casings stick to the horn while you are trying to stuff.

have you ever tried lubing the horn with some cooking spray or a little oil before slipping the tubed casings over it?

I more than likely would end up messing around like you do, nothing really makes a chore out of sausage making like having the casings stick to the horn while you are trying to stuff.

JISD, I have tried that and in fact a butcher said to use mineral oil on the horn, I just like lots of water and the casing always slides right off when I stuff. :)

JISD, I have tried that and in fact a butcher said to use mineral oil on the horn, I just like lots of water and the casing always slides right off when I stuff. :)

I usually load the tube with about 6" of casing filled with water in a pan below the end of the horn that way every bit of casing goes on the horn with plenty of water on the inside for lubrication. the excess water just runs out the end when I get that far and the little bit of water on the sheet pan makes coiling the filled sausages a little easier as they come off the stuffer. ( I link mine all after Im completely done stuffing, not as they come off the stuffer)

Reactions: crazymoon
the little bit of water on the sheet pan makes coiling the filled sausages a little easier as they come off the stuffer. ( I link mine all after Im completely done stuffing, not as they come off the stuffer)

We find that coiling the sausage onto a big round pizza pan makes keeping it neat and then forming links or ropes a breeze. We coil from the rim in and then just keep coiling a second layer from the center out....

Best regards to all,

We find that coiling the sausage onto a big round pizza pan makes keeping it neat and then forming links or ropes a breeze. We coil from the rim in and then just keep coiling a second layer from the center out....

Best regards to all,

yep, Ive got about a 18" deep dish pan that I use. I dont recall it ever having a pizza in it, but its certainly seen its share of sausage.

Hmm...all this talk of sheep casings and such has me thinking I need to get 10-12# of venison out of the fridge and make some kabanosy for the ncfishandhunt gathering next week. And maybe some venison and snow goose jerky....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky