Shavings, chips or dust?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Pellets work well, but I prefer dust to pellets. I think you get a cleaner cooler smoke with dust.

Chris

Reactions: Steve piglet
I started out by using pellets in my ANMPS tray and then began using dust for cold smoking cheese, now I almost always use dust for everything. It's just personal preference.

Last edited:
Guess I'll be firing up the saw later.
I was hoping to have found a good use for the shavings from my wood lathe!

If you have a gas grill. Form a cup out of tin foil and use them when grilling.

Chris

Pellets work well, but I prefer dust to pellets. I think you get a cleaner cooler smoke with dust.

Chris
Just tried a dry run and I'm struggling to keep my dust burning. I don't want to put too many air holes in the bottom of the burner as I don't want it to get too hot or burn too fast.
Also how much dust should I expect to get through please?

What are you using to burn the dust in. This is what I use and most other on the forum:

This can burn both pellets and dust. The tube is only meant for pellets

Chris

What are you using to burn the dust in. This is what I use and most other on the forum:

This can burn both pellets and dust. The tube is only meant for pellets

Chris
I was just doing a pile of dust in the bottom of the stove with a bunch of air holes but looking at that it's clear I'll have to think again.
I'm trying to do the whole thing without having to buy anything. So far it's all been made using things I've had around the place.

I was just doing a pile of dust in the bottom of the stove with a bunch of air holes but looking at that it's clear I'll have to think again.
I'm trying to do the whole thing without having to buy anything. So far it's all been made using things I've had around the place.

Hey Steve,
10 years ago, I was about to give up & quit trying to smoke with my MES 30, but then Todd Johnson invented the "Amazing Smoker", and I ended up doing pretty good ever since.
Just can't beat the AMNPS that Chris linked you to above.

Bear

Hey Steve,
10 years ago, I was about to give up & quit trying to smoke with my MES 30, but then Todd Johnson invented the "Amazing Smoker", and I ended up doing pretty good ever since.

Bear
I've been looking at it and I'm going to have a go at making something similar.
I'll probably end up investing in one eventually but at the moment I'm not earning as I'm self employed and the UK is in lock down. So I just can't justify the expense.

Hey Steve,

Bear
Thinking maybe some soup cans full of holes

Thinking maybe some soup cans full of holes

Sounds easier than it is.
Todd experimented for many months, with different sizes, channel widths, Perforation sizes, and all kinds of variations, before he came up with the few types he sells.

You should put UK in your Profile, so we know when we converse with you, as far as Altitude, Weather, availability of smoking products & stores, etc, etc.

Bear

Sounds easier than it is.
Todd experimented for many months, with different sizes, channel widths, Perforation sizes, and all kinds of variations, before he came up with the few types he sells.

You should put UK in your Profile, so we know when we converse with you, as far as Altitude, Weather, availability of smoking products & stores, etc, etc.

Bear
I'll do that.
Thanks again

I used a round cooking splatter screen with pellets in a circular maze before I got the Amnps and Amnts. It worked great. To vent from the bottom. Just don't burn a hole in the mesh screen with the torch to get it going.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky