Share your personal meat smoking history and interest

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
About the only place I read about folk's backgrounds in smoking meat is when they join on Roll Call. Those posts are great fun to read. I'm sure I shared mine when I joined, too. I'm also sure people have a varied background and experience that is more interesting than mine. So, if so motivated, share yours.

Personally, I grew up in SoCal thinking grilling was barbeque. Steaks, burgers, hot dogs, and chicken pretty much defined my exposure to outdoor cooking.

As a teen we moved to TN. That's when I had my first taste of wood-fired barbeque, exclusively chicken and pork. My dad didn't eat chicken and my mom didn't like pork so it wasn't high on their list of eat'n out places. Dad was a traveling salesman, though, and he'd occasionally take us to the most backwoods places to eat Q and fried catfish. He'd eat pork. Mom would eat chicken, and I ate anything and everything.

I went to university in Nashville. Around midnight, when we got the munchies (don't ask), we'd walk to a place that was a gas station during the day. Late at night though, two black gentlemen set up steam tables and sold pulled pork. I was always pretty loaded, but seems I remember them behind garage doors that had windows changed to sliders. There was always a huge line, even at 2 AM. You could get mild, hot, and hell-fire. Sauces were the same. One side and a pickle spear. That was the BEST friggin' Q, but my distorted perspective on the world might have had a bit to do with it.

During Navy flight training in south Texas I tasted mesquite and post oak smoked beef brisket, beef ribs, sausage, chicken, and pork for the first time. Always served on butcher papper with sides and sliced white bread, plastic utensils. I was hooked. We wouldn't think twice about driving 50 miles one way to get good Q.

A bar on Friday nights in the local town had a HUGE vertical smoker loaded with briskets. They didn't have much room on their lot and had to use a ladder to move briskets down from the top. Sandwich and a side was $5, and you had to get there early.

Once stationed back in California, good Q was only a memory. About the closest I found was tri tip grilled over a red oak fire, Santa Maria style. A Navy buddy from Santa Maria introduced me to the true SM style Q. We survived on grilled tri tip for decades because it was cheap meat. Wow. No longer.

Flash forward to 2013. I'd been using a gas grill for several years. I tried a bunch of ways to get good smoke flavor out of that beast but always came up short. That's when I decided to train myself to smoke meat on an old Weber Kettle Performer gathering dust on the side of the house. I realize now I was doing it bass-ackwards using the top vent to control temps, but at the time I was getting flavors that reminded my wife and me a lot of the Q in Texas. After 6 months I upgraded to a 22.5" WSM and truly learned how to charcoal/wood smoke meat.

I love that bullet, but a cabinet smoker out there somewhere is calling my name. I hear it in the wee hours when I'm reading SMF and thinking about what I want to smoke next. Plus, that 300-500 year-old white oak tree in my back yard it beginning to look like fuel more and more each day. Unfortunately, it's protected, so, no. Trimmings sure make yummy Q, though.

That's my journey with Q. Please share yours if so inclined.

Stay safe.

Ray

Last edited:
About the only place I read about folk's backgrounds in smoking meat is when they join on Roll Call. Those posts are great fun to read. I'm sure I shared mine when I joined, too. I'm also sure people have a varied background and experience that is more interesting than mine. So, if so motivated, share yours.

Personally, I grew up on SoCal thinking grilling was barbeque. Steaks, burgers, hot dogs, and chicken pretty much defined my exposure to outdoor cooking.

As a teen we moved to TN. That's when I had my first taste of wood-fired barbeque, exclusively chicken and pork. My dad didn't eat chicken and my mom didn't like pork so it wasn't high on their list of eat'n out places. Dad was a traveling salesman, though, and he'd occasionally take us to the most backwoods places to eat Q and fried catfish. He'd eat pork. Mom would eat chicken, and I ate anything and everything.

I went to university in Nashville. Around midnight, when we got the munchies (don't ask), we'd walk to a place that was a gas station during the day. Late at night though, two black gentlemen set up steam tables and sold pulled pork. I was always pretty loaded, but seems I remember them behind garage doors that had windows changed to sliders. There was always a huge line, even at 2 AM. You could get mild, hot, and hell-fire. Sauces were the same. One side and a pickle spear. That was the BEST friggin' Q, but my distorted perspective on the world might have had a bit to do with it.

During Navy flight training in south Texas I tasted mesquite and post oak smoked beef brisket, beef ribs, sausage, chicken, and pork for the first time. Always served on butcher papper with sides and sliced white bread, plastic utensils. I was hooked. We wouldn't think twice about driving 50 miles one way to get good Q.

A bar on Friday nights in the local town had a HUGE vertical smoker loaded with briskets. They didn't have much room on their lot and had to use a ladder to move briskets down from the top. Sandwich and a side was $5, and you had to get there early.

Once stationed back in California, good Q was only a memory. About the closest I found was tri tip grilled over a red oak fire, Santa Maria style. A Navy buddy from Santa Maria introduced me to the true SM style Q. We survived on grilled tri tip for decades because it was cheap meat. Wow. No longer.

Flash forward to 2013. I'd been using a gas grill for several years. I tried a bunch of ways to get good smoke flavor out of that beast but always came up short. That's when I decided to train myself to smoke meat on an old Weber Kettle Performer gathering dust on the side of the house. I realize now I was doing it bass-ackwards using the top vent to control temps, but at the time I was getting flavors that reminded my wife and me a lot of the Q in Texas. After 6 months I upgraded to a 22.5" WSM and truly learned how to charcoal/wood smoke meat.

I love that bullet, but a cabinet smoker out there somewhere is calling my name. I hear it in the wee hours when I'm reading SMF and thinking about what I want to smoke next. Plus, that 300-500 year-old white oak tree in my back yard it beginning to look like fuel more and more each day. Unfortunately, it's protected, so, no. Trimmings sure make yummy Q, though.

That's my journey with Q. Please share yours if so inclined.

Stay safe.

Ray
Great write up!

I don't remember what made me pull the trigger other than fact that I cook quite a bit and I hunt so I wanted to make smoked sausage, jerky, feral pig hams, etc.

I had helped, been apart, or around BBQ smoking in some form or fashion throughout my life but didn't realized that most people are doing it kinda wrong while still producing some good BBQ hahaha. So I knew I could do it better and produce great BBQ!
Also Dallas isn't a super great BBQ city and the good places are far from one another and u gotta be near one to get good BBQ. Though Dallas is a great food city with real variety so that makes it odd not to have more great BBQ joints all over.

I know a few times in my life I've had great BBQ like in Hern TX there was this little house place that made amazing pork ribs. I also remember being a young kid and having smoked beef ribs and was blown away. In my small home town there are these large dance halls where everyone has weddings or events and festivals occupy and most times they are serving smoked brisket and sausage or some kind of Tex/Mex or straight Mexican food so I've gotten my share of great BBQ at those things. Various family members do very good brisket as well so most smoked brisket I've eaten was better than anything I've had in a restaurant for 90% of my life.

My career had me traveling 80% of the year and I would try food in different regions of our country. It was very disappointing to never get any decent pulled pork in TX and while in George and South Carolina I had a hard time finding good pulled pork as well though I constantly tried. Finally at the airport in SC (of all places) I finally had great pulled pork and now understood what it could be so I was hellbent on making one as good or better. I think I have a better one now.

In any case I like to cook and my highly moded MS40 setup is geared for maximum versatility with minimum hassle. I smoke everything from cold smoked salmon lox, peppers for grinding, cured bacon, briskets, cured sausage, and jerky! Hell I can even 325F smoke poultry with skin on as well as hot smoke brisket and pork butts at 275F!

Only bucket list smoked item I really need to do on my list is a pork crown roast and I think I have smoked everything I've really ever desired to smoke for BBQ :)

I'm good to go :)

Great stories! Mine is simple. Having grown up in New Jersey, we really didn't have access to smoked meats. Moved to Maryland in the early 80's. Thinking that was the south, I tried what they considered "BBQ" and it wasn't, LOL. Moved to Ga. in '92. Started trying every BBQ place I came across. Most were OK. Then we found out about a Guy that cooked and sold his meats only Friday and Saturdays from 5pm til he ran out. It was on a corner just outside of a suburban area, while waiting 30-40 minutes in the long lines, he'd come out to give everyone free samples. It was delicious. We started going every Friday after work, waiting, etc. After 6-8 months he disappeared. Then I decided to try it on my own. Got my first MES 30 around 2004. Fiddled with it for the better part of 2 years before making somewhat acceptable food. My wife is a little picky about her food, so it has to be at least decent, or I'm eating alone. LOL. I solicited as much advice as I could from people I knew, etc. Through trial and error, I got to the point I could make acceptable Ribs and Pork Loin. A friend gave me an extensive recipe for his homemade BBQ sauce (like 16 ingredients, long prep/cook time). That sauce was so darn good, that I could almost cook the pork with little or no seasoning, and guests would go crazy over it with that sauce! Thinking I was a great cook. I always give credit to my friend for his sauce though. Things didn't progress for a few more years until my original MES 30 died after 8 or 9 years, well worth it. Got an MES 40 Gen 1 around 2013 or 2014. Started watching more shows like BBQ Pitmasters, etc. Finally joined this forum in 2018. (Tried a Pitboss 700fb pellet smoker for about a year in between, didn't like it)

I have to say the last 2 years here on this forum have upped my game by leaps and bounds more than I have ever hoped. I can't thank you all enough for the info and advice I've gotten here.
I'll never stop learning and hope to share any knowledge I have learned with others as well. Paying it forward always.
Mike

So about 12 years ago my dad gave me a grill. It has cermic fire briquettes in it and you could put wood chips or chunks in the briqs. so i started smoking hamburgers and hot dogs and steaks with that grill.

Then i bought a ECB (El Cheapo Bullet) for $35 and started smoking with chips soaked and matchlight charcoal....my ribs came out nasty. i used to cook a lot of beef ribs so if/when they came out bad wasnt very expensive.

Finally started using a cheap offset (still using match light and soaking chips)and somehow my ribs started to get better. not as consistent because of bad technique and materials etc. but getting decent. people liked what i made. some where along the way i join a smoking meat forum and starting learning form older and wiser smokers. (i stopped soaking chips and using match light during this time) i even cooked for a company I worked for(30 ppl)

Then i moved to WSM and started actually making decent que on a regular basis. i i enjoyed smoking ribs chicken and pork. then i tried to make some brisket. my brisket was inconsistent but i could make pretty good beef from time to time.

The i moved to NC and i bought a lang 36". i started with a hot and fast 19# brisket and cooked it wonderfully best i have ever done matter of fact. my que took off. i got a lot more consistent hitting the done-ness and flavor i wanted. i bought another lang (48") and enjoyed cooking al kinds of things. i cooked for my church a couple times 130 ppl worth of food. both times it was a hit!

I moved to Charlotte recently and had to sell my lang 48. about 6 months ago. this past memorial day i bought a lang 36 hybrid patio to go back to offset cooking (my favorite) and some grilling. i'm hoping so do smoking and grilling combination cooks and all sorts of things.

That's my story and i'm sticking to it!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Ray, great thread. Here's a similar one from a couple of years ago. It has some stories from members past and present.

Chris

Reactions: noboundaries
History of "The Smoking Bear"

To start with, I'll tell you that my family never had any kind of grill when I was a Kid. My Dad figured the food Mom made in the Kitchen was good enough for All of us!
The only time we ever had any flame cooked food, was when we went to the mountains for a weekend. Then we had a camp-fire going & held Hot Dogs over the flames with sticks we cut from the area woods, and finished the night off with doing the same thing with some Marshmallows.

Then the next time I had any association with outside cooking was in Vietnam:
I had only been there for a couple months when we caught our Mess Sergeant selling our monthly shipment of Steaks to the Vietnamese, in the Village of “My Tho”.
So after a few threats on his life, they shipped him out of our Company for his own protection, after busting him down a couple of ranks!

So the new Mess Sgt had a meeting with a few of us, and we all agreed to have him save all of our Steak & Chicken shipments, and not cook them in the Mess Hall. Instead we would have a big Company Blow-out every month or two, depending on when we had enough Steak & Chicken saved for the whole Company. I tried like Hell to stay out of the field (Jungle) when those Shindigs were scheduled. We played a little Volleyball & Horse Shoes, as long as the Alert siren stayed quiet that day. Days were usually pretty quiet, as we got Rocketed & Mortared nearly every night.
The Company party, consisted of Steaks & Chicken on 50 gallon drums cut in half & supported on their sides on 4 legs. Great tasting food, I think--Drank a lot of Beer at those Crazy Gatherings (Memory's a little Fuzzy)!! There was always a Jeep Trailer washed out & filled with Ice and Beer & Soda to wash down the Steak & Chicken.

Then from Vietnam, I went to Hawaii, and since I knew I would be there at least 6 months, I told Mrs Bear to quit her job & come to Hawaii to keep me company. A couple weeks after she got there we went out and bought a Hibachi, and I started making Steaks on the Hibachi. I loved those cheap steaks from the Commissary!! Then after a year in Hawaii, We went to Ft Hood, Texas, and our Hibachi followed us there, to make us some more Steaks, Burgers & Dogs. Seven Months later, When I got out of the Army, I bought a Gas Grill, and went through a few of them over the next 40 years. They usually ended up rusting out in a few years.

Then in 2009 I ran into this Forum, and you all know the rest.
If you don’t know the rest, check out my “Step by Step” Index, by clicking on it below:

Bear

Last edited:
Great memories, everyone. Thanks for sharing. Keep it up.

Bear, I can't write here my first thought of that mess sergeant. My dad, a Navy yeoman, was like a Radar O'Reilly for his squadron. He could get guys anything they wanted or needed. He could not cook at all, except on a grill, and then just the basics. He left the cooking up to my mom.

Ive always been interested in cooking and grilling and have been doing both for a while. But for smoking I do not have a particularly interesting story like some. It’s more just stumbling into it. Growing up my dad would grill but everything came out like a meteor- very well done. He’s gotten much better lately. But one Christmas about 10 years ago my wife and I bought him a small charcoal smoker. He got into it and told me about the stuff he was making and learning. So naturally I had to get my own- a masterbuilt propane unit. Unfortunately he’s had turned his smoker into a storage unit for his garden. One hobby exchanged for another.

I dabbled for the first few years, generally sticking to pork butts and chicken. Pork butts are incredible- they always seem to come out right. Perhaps as a naive overconfident backyard cook I volunteered to cook for my sisters wedding rehearsal dinner. And I was hooked. A year later I stumbled onto this site, bought a cheap vertical smoker, and was off. I’ve learned so much and grown my toy collection much to my wife’s dismay.

Here’s to more stories and bbq!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky